1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How save folder emails before deleting gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by verbalista, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

gmail is malfunctioning, I need to completely delete it, then reinstall. BUT, I need the emails saved in my filter folders. How can I save the folders and delete the program on my laptop?

I use gmail on my phone and my desktop, too, but, those versions seem to be working. I think there's corruption in the file on the laptop.

I really don't want to lose the folders, they contain old legal info, business communications from years ago that will be invaluable if I need to contact familiar professionals, and so forth.

But, with gmail sticking things in the trash, refusing to use "sent mail", behaving exceedingly strangely, I know I can't keep it as it is...I missed a reply to a letter to my lawyer today.
    Thanks for your help...

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what program are you using on the laptop to access your gmail account ?

4. verbalista

It doesn't matter if I use Chrome or Firefox, the problems with gmail persist.
    Aside from saying that every newly composed email is in the trash and must be moved to the inbox to appear in "sent mail", it also sticks a bunch of filter folders on every email that appears, so, if something comes for "family", it will also have "law", "inbox", "friends" or at least some extra stash spots along the top of the incoming message. I've been doing as the program says, moving every new message to the inbox (it thinks the message has been deleted), then, going to the message and manually removing the extra designations. Aaagh.

5. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
  6. verbalista

I never deleted my gmail account at any time. I don't need to recover it, unless, "recover" means to repair it.
    I followed your link, it is for people who actually deleted their accounts, and it doesn't promise to put back all the emails that are stored in folders now. If it weren't for those emails, which I need very much, and for the necessary change of name on my email, which is used by hundreds of friends and clients, I would delete the account and create a new one.
    I don't want to do that.
    I am not a newbie on computer, I've been using various computers since 1972, my first computer had 2 floppies, no hard drive. I've fixed other people's computers.
    This is a very unusual problem, and I have no idea how it originated, my machine is clean, not only is it a Mac, less prone to malware, but, I use MacKeeper, which watches for problems in real time, and, I clear away useless clutter once a month.

7. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    :) my post was merely to outline the possible outcomes should there be a decision to delete the account.

also, like to kindly refer you to, waynes post (earlier)

8. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    You write "gmail is malfunctioning, I need to completely delete it, then reinstall. BUT, I need the emails saved in my filter folders. How can I save the folders and delete the program on my laptop?"

You did state here that you need to complete delete it, so the post from Bob was relevant.

I use gmail on my phone and my desktop, too, but, those versions seem to be working. I think there's corruption in the file on the laptop.

Gmail is not typically installed on your computer, it is accessed through the web browser unless you installed a 3rd party application to access it.

What version of Chrome and Firefox are you using?

9. verbalista

I'm using Chrome version Version 48.0.2564.116 (64-bit), and Firefox version 45.0
    Yes, I know it's not a program on my computer, I began using web browsers as soon as they became available...in the early 90s.

10. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Have you tried updating Google Chrome, the latest version of Chrome is: 49.0.2623.87
    You have the latest version of FireFox. Have you tried to see if the issue happens in Internet Explorer by chance?

11. verbalista

I will try upgrading my Chrome, thank you. Internet Explorer is not a Mac program. I use a Mac, both my laptop and desktop computers.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Chrome updates automatically. Gmail doesn't use folders. It uses labels. There's nothing to delete or clear on your computer except browser cache. Everything is stored on Google's servers.

13. verbalista

Yes, TonyB25, I realized that the answer about updating Chrome was not valid, checked into my version and it is up-to-date. Yes, I know that gmail designates folders as "labels". But, I thought I had downloaded gmail at some point and that the program resided on my own computer. If it's on their servers, I can't just delete the program and reinstall after backing up all those saved and organized emails. I've been working on this problem, I have stopped gmail from throwing my new messages in the trash, and I stopped it from putting all new messages into "family" and "legal" as well as the inbox, I nested the family and legal labels under other labels...so, this may not be perfect, but, the worst of the problem is gone. I plan to try deleting my less-frequently used labels, in case having as many as I do is confusing the issue.

14. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Gmail is web based. If you downloaded something, it was a third party application.

Labels are nothing like folders. There's no "nesting". One e-mail can have many labels. That doesn't mean one label is "under" another. It shouldn't be confusing. It's actually quite simple.

It sounds like you set up some rules to automatically move e-mails to trash or apply labels and activities.

15. verbalista

There IS nesting. My "Family" label has the names of my daughter and cousin listed under that label, so, it's (for instance) "Family Lark". This is not 2 separate labels, it's family with names under it, it isn't positioned on the page as 2 labels, one and space, then the next...the names of my daughter and cousin are tucked a bit to the right and below the label, "Family". Maybe it's different on a PC. I use a Mac.
    I am aware of what rules I set up, and I did not set up any rules to move emails to trash (??!). I DID set up rules that certain emails that come in are always moved to certain labels, so, instead of landing in the inbox, they skip inbox and automatically go into "friends", or "biz contacts", or "offers", or "Geico"...and more. That's what used to make gmail so convenient and irreplaceable to me. But, now it's acting wonky and sticking multiple labels that are unrelated on emails...I've had 3 or more labels appearing on emails. It's not something I set up, it's corruption.

16. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You're right. Gmail does have nested labels. My mistake.

It sounds like you have some rather complicated rules set up to automatically apply labels, archive messages, and other operations. I doubt it's corruption. It may be a product of too many rules. You might try removing all of them to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you could apply them one at a time to make sure things are working.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice