1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How smart is this purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdk1211, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdk1211

rdk1211 Thread Starter

Right now I'm running XP pro on a P3 547 MHz processor with 192 RAM (not sure which type but probably old RAM). My friend who works for a computer place said he could get me an Intel 2.4 Celeron Processor + Biostar 8668D Motherboard (with onboard Video, Lan, Sound) + Case and 256 DDR PC3200 RAM for $220. Are Biostar motherboards reliable, and is the price for all this stuff good? I don't really know the performace rate on Celerons, I always guessed it was equivalent to a P3. How much of an improvement is this over my existing hardware?

And also could someone give me some kind of chart that explains the numbers and types of RAM? I know PC3200 is better than PC2700 and so forth, but then it gets into SDRAM at PC100 and PC133, thats where I get mixed up.

Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The prices are OK, but if I were upgrading, I think I'd move right past a 2.4ghz Celeron and go for a faster P4. The Biostar MB's are also lower end, and I'd want something a bit higher end.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice