1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How tell if laptop can be fixed after being run over.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boydphoto, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    my dell 1520 inspiron's battery was dead. then i left the laptop (in a case) behind my car and i ran over it. i know, i know, i'm a moron, but morons need computer help, too. now when i try to turn it on the light comes on for 5 seconds and then goes out.
    how can i tell if it's worth buying a new battery on the off chance the computer's still going to work? thanks for your help, boyd.

2. hewee

hewee

Plug in the AC cord to see if it works can tell you if it works.

3. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    hi. as i said, when i plug the ac cord in the "on" light lights up for five seconds or so, then goes out. thanks for
    replying, boyd.

4. paisanol69

paisanol69

...difficult expressing what you are really trying to say...:D

Not being argumentative here, but you did not say anything about using the ac power cord in your post, so Hewee's suggestion was a good one.

As far as whether or not it's worth repairing, I would venture a guess that it's now probably on good for scrap. Hopefully for you, there may be a way to extract the physical hard drive from it, and that will allow you to recover any important files you would have otherwise lost.

Good Luck !!!

5. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    i meant to say, "when i plug in the ac cord", but didn't. i'm 74 years old and sometimes i just intend to do or say something
    and think i did it. thanks for replying, and for the correction. boyd

6. paisanol69

paisanol69

I hope my reply did not offend you, since it was not intended to.
    And I am not quite that old, but I do suffer from the same malady, at times.

You know, the " I'm not sure that what I said is what you heard" syndrome!

good luck with your laptop!!

7. hewee

hewee

I can see you being all stress out and worried over this as most people would be so try not to worry and your feel better.

It may be able to be fixed but so many things can be broken that your spend many times the cost of getting a new laptop and in the end your never get it to work right. Bet the laptop monitor is no good even if the laptop works. Hey that may one test you can do it you got a desktop monitor to plug into the laptop just to see if you can get any where. I have no laptop so paisanol69 may know if this may by pass a bad laptop monitor not working that is your trouble but got a feeling that it was not made to drive over so get the data from the drive.

But it does sound like time to get a new PC or laptop and then if you really have things you need from the other drive you can remove it.

Maybe paisanol69 know of a way to see that old drive with a usb hook-up or something so you can copy things back to new laptop and maybe get your data all copied and then wipe the drive clean because you can not use the OS and other programs that are just taking up space. Then copy your data back to the old drive and now use the old drive as a USB back-up drive.

Get a laptop case with a shoulder strap so you can carry it and then when in the car you take it off and lay it on the seat and when you get out you use the shoulder strap and carry it to the inside of the house before taking it off and then your keep it off the ground.

Wish you the very best boydphoto.

8. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    thanks for your help, hewee! i do have access to a desktop monitor, but if the light on the laptop goes out after a couple
    of seconds do you think it will still operate the monitor? thanks, boyd.

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I agree with the others...parts are very high..just the price of the panel is enough to go laptop hunting.,
    Chances are the hdd is still good if it was a small or medium car as each tire only supports a few hundred pounds..usually you just remove 2 screws{from the bottom} and slide it out...if it isnt bent up you are probably in luck
    To pull the files off you will have to get an enclosure and make the hard drive an external...30 bucks should take care of that.

10. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    alas. woe is me. thanks for all the helpful advice, guys. i appreciate it.
    boyd.

11. paisanol69

paisanol69

...whatever you decide to do with the laptop.
    Please let us know how things turn out!

12. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    thaniks, i will.

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I've seen that same symptom with several Dell laptops. Typically it means the motherboard is toast. You can generally tell if the LCD is broken, the glass usually cracks fairly easily, and a car running over it would almost certainly do it. If that is the case, you've probably also got broken or cracked plastic on the case. These things will add up to close to the cost of a replacement, and by the time you add in labor ... The guys have it right, try to salvage your HDD, but the rest is most likely history.

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I also expect the panel to be damaged in addition to the MB.
    People close laptop...set on floor...step on...no more display.
    The cars would do it for sure.

The OP may be able to pick up a used Dell{same model} on ebay for a decent price.
    As long as they were both intel based it should boot ...I have done it..the notification area does stay busy for a spell though chiming away.

But........I would just keep my eye on sales for a new unit with decent specs..then use the old HDD as an external.

With a little hunting and waiting..its not hard to find a unit 14 inch and up with dual cores and sometimes 4 gigs of ram for about 400 bucks.

15. boydphoto

boydphoto Thread Starter

First Name:
    boyd
    hi, gr3iz. thanks for your answer. the lcd and the case look fine. thanks, boyd.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice