1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how the heck can I permanently remove a system device (keeps showing in device mgr)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

OK so I have the asus rampage formula motherboard.

It comes with some utilities ... ASUS probe (for temp readings/voltages), AIBooster, and some other stuff.

The only one I installed was ASUS probe because I thought it would be useful, however, I'll get a BSOD randomly (even when not using the asus probe program) associated with the driver "ASACPI.sys" which when I look it up, is a driver for the "ATK ACPI Utility" (in device manager).

I remove ASACPI.sys from my system... now no more BSODs, but every type I restart the hardware manager comes up asking me to install ATK ACPI Utility...

I don't want it and can't permanantly get rid of it!

I even tried going to the windows\inf folder, found the oem.inf file that corresponded to this device, deleted it, and it still shows up. It shows up under device manager, under system devices, as "unknown device" every time I start my computer.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the device is on the system, and can't be disabled in BIOS, Windows (and other OS's) will keep trying to install it. That's what automatic installation does, since it is very rare that someone does not want all devices installed.

So, the best thing to do if you don't want it, is to right-click it in Device Manager and disable it.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I disable it and "add new hardware" still comes up on every restart, even though on every restart it is showing the device as "disabled."

I have eliminated the BSODs by getting rid of that driver (I tried the driver that came with it, and a newer driver said to be for vista (even though I'm on win xp pro sp3), and both causes BSODs at some point in time.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There may be another device involved. But maybe you could load up the driver that doesn't work, just to make it happy, and then disable it. If the driver doesn't load, there should be no BSOD.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

once I install the driver, there is no option to disable the device, only to uninstall it :\

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

then you have some other issue with what you're trying to do.

fwiw:
    i just went into dm, can rt click on various items listed and had the option to uninstall or disable.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

most items have both options, but some, like this device "ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" only has the uninstall option.

It shows up as this:

Device Type: System Devices
    Manufacturer: ATK

off topic...
    Oh my other question was there are drivers for ICH10R, does it have any advantage to install these , even tho my x48 board is ICH9R I heard you can install the 10 drivers

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what happens if you uninstall and reboot?

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I've been reading that if i disable some kind of power saving feature in the BIOS this might go away?

I don't want to disable ACPI though because I know that's useful for saving power. I was under the impression this driver was only for AIbooster / asus probe - I see another item in system devices called "ACPI Fixed Feature Button." Is this what controls ACPI or is it the ATK thing.

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

bear, if I uninstall and reboot it just keeps asking me to install it

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it must be needed unless it can be disabled in bios.

acpi is power saving, i have it enabled but do everything thru power management in dm and then only have the monitor shut down, except the laptops ,which i select to go into stby if the lid is closed.

i'm not familiar with "atk".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice