1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to access a web server behind a firewall?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HaunsTM, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaunsTM

HaunsTM Thread Starter

Hi all!

I apologize if I post this to the wrong forum. I'm new here.

I have tried to illustrate my WLAN/LAN/Internet situation:
    [​IMG]
    I am looking for ways to access
    (1) my (own) web server (with IIS 6/Apache) (HTTP)
    (2) my IP/Network cam (RTSP)

from my smartphone (3) from "Internet". I am a .NET-system developer but my networking skills are very poor.

My problem is that there are obstacles, i e an evil firewall (4). Since my web server (1) and IP/Network (2) cam are behind it (4), I have absolutely no idea how to access them from my smart phone (3) from Internet.
    My ISP doesn't allow port forwarding, but I know that there is a Socks5 server which I can reach @port 1080. I believe that I can use it somehow?

My question:
    Is it possible to reach my web server at all from outside the firewall? How? Are there any other solutions for me except for changing my ISP?

With best regards,
    Hans

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Who is this ISP service? Sounds like internet service being provided by an apartment management company/landlord. What is the level of service they will provide? Did they tell you why they won't reconfigure their firewall?

3. HaunsTM

HaunsTM Thread Starter

Hi zx10guy!

Thank you very much for your answer! You are absoulutely right, it is my apartment management company who acts as the ISP. Actually, I have no idea of why they don't reconfigure their firewall. I have been told (from them) that is a policy and nothing more.

Please read this keeping in mind that I'm a total networking technique novice: Is it possible for me to fetch a video stream om my mobile internet phone from the IP camera inside MyAppartment_Network ?

4. Rockn

Rockn

You would actually have to know how the video was being streamed and what port it needs. I am sure it is a simple matter of port forwarding, but if your "ISP" will not configure the router or firewall to do this you are probably out of luck.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

And what if everyone wanted to do what you wanted to do. That can't be done with the Network configuration they have. Get your own Internet connection if you don't like their TOS.

6. HaunsTM

HaunsTM Thread Starter

Thanks for all replies! I realize that I probably will have to change my ISP if I should be able to broadcast my IP Cam videostream... :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice