How to Access iPad Content on Windows 7 ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BearKiller

My generous sister has just given my little six-year-old buddy an old iPad for her to load with all of her pictures and also play games on.
I am getting it cleaned out and ready for her.
It is Model A1219 and uses the old-style wide cord end.
It says 32GB
When I connected it to a Windows 7 machine, all that I can see are the photos.
It says there are just under 2GB in the DCIM folder; however, when I click "Internal Storage," it shows "used space 29GB" and "free space 17.2GB"; that adds up to 46.2GB; quite a bit more than the 32GB that is stamped on it.
How can I access all the rest of this 29GB of storage so that I can weed it out ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

>>> On EDIT: I just assumed that, since I could see the photos, that I could offload them onto my computer for viewing and weeding out while freeing up that space for her photos.
I can see all the folders and photos, but thus far I haven't been able to do a thing with them.
This behavior sort of negates our intentions for this iPad.

Last edited:

BearKiller

Why not do a reset?
Thanks; that is a wonderful idea if it isn't over my head.
If I am going to restore the thing to as-new condition, I would like to "change ownership" from my sister's fiance to me; what am I going to get into to accomplish that ?
Various relatives and acquaintances have had all manner of nightmare occurrences of getting locked out of iPads that they were the only-ever owner of; such that, I am about afraid to mess with it.
I know people swap these things around on EBay all the time, so surely it shouldn't be an insurmountable task to switch ownership.
Any input on this would be appreciated.

>>> ON EDIT:
Well...., I followed the instructions to reset the iPad and got it wiped clean; then, it says to connect to iTunes.
I have tried on two different machines using two different browsers; and, when I click the download button, it immediately takes me to a page thanking me for downloading, yet nothing happens, nothing at all.

I searched this situation and it seems that this has been an ongoing huge problem for several years.

Now, I have this thing wiped, when I turn it on, all it will do is tell me to connect to iTunes.

What can I do ?

Last edited:
To access all the content on you iPad you need to have iTunes installed first. Then download this app called iFunbox Install it. First run iTunes and minimize it to the task bar. Then run iFunbox and wait for it to recognize your device. From there you can access everything on the iPad and bring it down to your computer for saving.

TerryNet

Terry
Now, I have this thing wiped, when I turn it on, all it will do is tell me to connect to iTunes.
What happens if you are not connected to a computer when you turn it on? My expectation (based on a little experience with an iPhone and an iPod Touch) is that it will want you to connect to Wi-Fi and to enter an Apple ID and password.

>>> ON EDIT:
Well...., I followed the instructions to reset the iPad and got it wiped clean; then, it says to connect to iTunes.
I have tried on two different machines using two different browsers; and, when I click the download button, it immediately takes me to a page thanking me for downloading, yet nothing happens, nothing at all.

I searched this situation and it seems that this has been an ongoing huge problem for several years.

What can I do ?
Make sure you download the correct one for your system and make sure to follow my instruction from my other post for iFunbox. It will come in handy for accessing the iPad down the road.

iTunes 64bit "Direct Link"

iTunes 32bit "Direct Link"

BearKiller

Then download this app called iFunbox and wait for it to recognize your device. From there you can access everything on the iPad and bring it down to your computer for saving.
With this iFunbox, can I pick and choose and handle the iPad photos in much the same way as Explorer does on anything else ?

Make sure you download the correct one for your system
Thanks! That worked like it was supposed to.

Since I created this thread, I discovered that the wife had installed a 2015 version of iTunes on another machine around here that has been dedicated to other chores for the last few years.
I connected the iPad to that machine and it immediately allowed me to "Sync" photos; however, there was one huge glitch in that plan; (and I am glad that I checked things out before spending half the night) when I would choose a folder to add to the iPad, then choose another, then a third, each time clicking the Apply button, instead of adding the next batch of images, it completely replaced each group with the next.
I guess that is what "Sync" means.

I intend to get this new version installed and also get the iFunbox and see if I don't fare any better.

One thing for certain, this episode sure makes me appreciate the old Kindle that I load my pictures on for use as a portable photo album; I plug it into the computer, it opens like any old external drive, I can add, delete, rename, reorganize, and shift things around to a fare thee well.

BearKiller

Here's a screen shot of iFunbox for a visual.
It appears we were typing at the same time...
Thanks! ; that is a big help.

Your sister has to log into her iCloud account and disconnect the iPad.
I sure hope she already did; else I may have knocked her cloud out of the sky.
People like me should not be allowed around anything that we have no idea what we are doing and just do it anyway.
She is way off down there in Texas somewhere; maybe that is far enough away that it won't matter.

BearKiller Said
With this iFunbox, can I pick and choose and handle the iPad photos in much the same way as Explorer does on anything else ?

Yes, somewhat. You speak a lot about pictures on the iPad. As you see in the screenshot, all my pics are under the camera. You can highlight a pic by left clicking it then drag it to the desktop or folder of your choice. You can also highlight multiple images by holding down the Ctrl key and click the images. You can right click and Select All, create folders, well you'll find out playing with it. Have iFun with it!

BearKiller

You speak a lot about pictures on the iPad. As you see in the screenshot, all my pics are under the camera. You can highlight a pic by left clicking it then drag it to the desktop or folder of your choice. You can also highlight multiple images by holding down the Ctrl key and click the images. You can right click and Select All, create folders, well you'll find out playing with it. Have iFun with it!
Thanks again!
I may have already said this somewhere...; my main use for my old Kindle and the planned main use for this iPad once I hand it over to her (all six years old) are as portable photo albums.
We take lots and lots of pictures and these little pad thingies are ideal to pass around and let people see the pictures.
Of course, I will load a ton of games on her's as well.

My granddaughter has had a iPad since she was 4 years old. She Is now 8. It took her no time at all to figure out. Next she'll be asking for a phone....

BearKiller

My granddaughter has had a iPad since she was 4 years old. She Is now 8. It took her no time at all to figure out. Next she'll be asking for a phone....
Okay, I got side-tracked and have just now gotten back to this.
I installed the iTunes that you pointed me toward. Thanks!
I installed the iFunbox. Thanks!
Now, this is what have done:
1. The iPad was already USB connected to one of the "charge" ports of a self-powered Plugables 3.0 hub; these ports are both power and data.
2. I opened iTunes
3. I opened iFunbox. >>> It says "No Device Connected"
4. I unplug and reconnect -- the computer makes that "something unplugged" then "something plugged in" kerthunk noise and an autoplay pops up = still no device connected
5. I try a straight to the motherboard port = still no go.

Is there a certain order of procedure that I should follow ?

It may or may not be important; but, my sister could not find the original cable for this; so, I dug around in drawers and finally found a cable that does fit and has been charging and working thus far; however, the origin of this cable is anybody's guess and is not a genuine Apple cable.

>>>On EDIT: More Info:
I just noticed that, although when I connect the iPad, the computer makes it's kerthunk noise, an Autoplay box pops up, and iTunes automatically opens, the iPad is no longer showing up in Explorer like it was before.

Unless it is the cable (and considering the rest of the behavior, that makes no sense to me), why is Explorer and iFunbox not recognizing the iPad and how do I fix ?

Also, I just looked in Task Manager and it shows my Kindle as running, but no mention of the iPad.

Last edited:
I opened iFunbox. >>> It says "No Device Connected"
When you plug the iPad into the system you'll hear the chime like you did. You need to now look at the iPad and tap the message you see there and accept the connection from the computer. Now that you have authorized the connection it should now be recognized in Explorer, iTunes and iFunbox.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online