1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to activate Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nibbs, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nibbs

nibbs Thread Starter

I have Dell Inspiron 530s.

For some reason I can't connect my cell phone to the computer via Bluetooth. When I click Bluetooth Devices > Bluetooth Settings, nothing happens, and when I click "Add Wireless Device" the computer can't find my cell phone.

Any help is appreciated.

2. warrior19

warrior19

Is the cell phone the only bluetooth device connecting to the PC?

By this I mean are you also using a Bluetooth Mouse & Keyboard?

If not...has bluetooth ever worked on the PC?

If it worked recently try a System Restore in whatever operating system you are running back to a date on or before you remember it working?

If it never worked try downloading and installing/re-installing the Media Card with Bluetooth Module Drivers for your operating system from Dell's support website here.

http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...D=INSP_DSKTP_D530&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Good Luck!

3. nibbs

nibbs Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

When trying to install the driver, I get a message saying "Activate Bluetooth using Fn+F2 or Radio On/Off Switch"

I've pressed F2, Ctrl-F2, Alt F2, etc, but nothing happens.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a BlueTooth receiver on your PC?

5. nibbs

nibbs Thread Starter

I assumed it did, but I am totally sure. Is there any way I can test that?

6. warrior19

warrior19

In START----Control Panel----Network Connections is the Bluetooth Adapter listed? Can you ENABLE is by right clicking on the icon?

Does the media card reader work? Can you read SD cards etc,etc?

7. warrior19

warrior19

The media card reader and bluetooth module are combined hardware in the inspiron 530 hence my question

8. nibbs

nibbs Thread Starter

I couldn't find "Network Connections" but there is an icon that says "Bluetooth Devices"

I'm not sure how to test that.

9. nibbs

nibbs Thread Starter

test

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

The Dell Inspiron 530s does not have a Bluetooth receiver by default, unless you installed one. Dell certainly didn't install it.

Note that it is extremely unlikely that a desktop machine come with Bluetooth unless it is designed specifically to be used as a multimedia center. Your's isn't.

The good news is that the USB dongles are tiny and very cheap. I would recommend the Kensington or the ioGear. Both are tiny dongles that don't require any additional software (it is included with Vista and Windows 7).

Courtney

11. warrior19

warrior19

Have you got a set ot 4 slots in the front of the PC that look like they can read tiny cards size of a stamp? If you have a digital camera I mean the memory card used in the camera can be read by these slots/card readers?

It might not have one? Hence it might not have bluetooth also?

If the internet is working on the PC and you can find a label on it with your Dell 'Service Tag' goto this website

http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...s?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=anavml

Enter the service tag and it will list what the machine was shipped with when it left Dell? Look in the list for the Media Reader with Bluetooth? If not listed then you have not got one.

12. warrior19

warrior19

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I know it looks like BlueTooth should be already to go, but there is still a need for a receiver for the radio waves. You are certainly not the first person not to realize this. :D Looks like you are in good hands.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice