1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to add a SATA2 hard drive to IDE-only motherboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flameboy54, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flameboy54

flameboy54 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I just got a SATA2 1TB HD but my motherboard (MSI KT3 Ultra I think) only has IDE ports. What's the cheapest solution to link the two but still utilizing SATA2? I could go USB2.0 (solution: external enclosure + USB2.0 PCI card since my MB only supports 1.1) but I would much have the faster connection of SATA2. Also, if I do have to add a SATA2 PCI expansion card, it should recognize the whole TB right? I know in some instances with older MB's, if you plug in a HD it will only register X amount of GB's. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks! (y)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Buy a quality sata controller card. Yes, the card should "See" the full size of the drive as long as you read the specs on the card and it says it will recognize drives of that size.

I use and recommend either promise or highpoint controller/raid cards. There are cheaper ones however you get what you pay for.

3. steven1350

steven1350

ide is much slower the SATA. Buy a sata controller

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually this is not correct. While sata has a theoretical speed advantage, neither interface even comes close to the theoretical speed ie 133, 150, or 300. Do a benchmark of your drive and see what it says as to drive speed. I am betting it will be somewhere around 50~60mps transfer speed; well below even ATA100.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice