1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to add SCSI hard disk to RAID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tzar, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tzar

tzar Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have got two SCSI hard disk arrays running in my server, one is a 3-disks array on RAID-5 and the other one is a 1-disk unRAIDed.

Both arrays are presently holding data.

I want to install another 2 SCSI disks on the second array so that I can RAID these 2 together with the existing 1 on a RAID 5.

Can someone please kindly give me a walkthrough how to do it, because apart from changing hard disks on a PC, I have never done anything with SCSI hard disks before.

Is there any issue with data migration?
    Do I have to temporarily transfer the data in the disk to another storage, install the 2 new disks, RAID the three together, then transfer back the data?
    Or can I just simply plug in the two new disks, and RAID the three together, without having to worry about the data contained?

Ascan be seen I am in very very desperate need for help here.
    So from the time the new disks arrive, what do I have to do?

Thanks so much. Any input is very much welcome and appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not sure I completely understand what you want to do. I think you want to install two new drives onto a scsi card and then create a raid array on those two disks.

As long as the scsi controller you are connecting these to supports raid, it should be no problem. Shut down and connect your drive to the controller. The one disk connected now will have the terminator jumper / plug installed on it. This needs to go on the last device in the chain. Now restart and enter the bios for the controller you are setting up the raid array on. There are different key combos for different card mgf's so you need to know which key to hit. When in the raid bios, select the two disks you want to create the array and start the creation process.

I am assuming that the os is already installed on another device and that drivers for the raid card are already installed. Go to disk management and you will need to partition and format your array. You MAY need to restart after you partition the array. Format with ntfs and you are good to go.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

"Do I have to temporarily transfer the data in the disk to another storage, install the 2 new disks, RAID the three together, then transfer back the data?"

Yes get the data off the drive. The addresses will be rewritten across the three drives wiping out all the data on the single drive. I take it that you want to wind up with two arrays each having 3 disks in them. Are all three drives the same size?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Lurker1 is correct. If you want to use an existing disk in a new array, it will destroy all data on the disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice