1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to add software to "open with" other applications menu in Linux Mint 16?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Cavemanj, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

I tried to add an installed software to the "open with" other applications list that drops down after clicking on a photo to open but I never could. I installed Photoscape on my Linux Mint 16 system but it did not show in the list of choices to open a photo. I used some codes given to me from another website where I asked the same question but had no success. Now, the name photoscape.desktop is in the list but it is inactive. I want to make it my default viewer for photos. At the bottom under other applications it says you can add a custom command to add a software to the list and also make it your default viewer. I have no idea how to do this or where some folders are located in Linux Mint 16. I am new to Linux and don't know all the Linux tech talk, scripts or codes. So, things like creating shells, custom commands or other actions not needed in Windows is foreign to me, as it is any new Linux user. I also placed the question in the Linux Mint forums but got nowhere. I really need to talk to someone directly if possible who can answer this and other Linux questions as well.

2. DVOM

DVOM

"I have no idea how to do this or where some folders are located in Linux Mint 16."

I'm assuming you have Photoscape installed with Wine.

The necessary folders are going to be in "Cavemanjl/.wine/C: drive/program files/photoscape.exe" Or "photoscape.desktop"

The ".wine" indicates it's a hidden folder in your home directory. Everything is going to be in there. Also, linux is usually letter case sensitive so pay attention to that.

I would test it in a terminal. Try some different things. If it doesn't fire up Photoscape then it probably won't do anything at all.

Edit: for a custom command I would try "wine /C: drive/Program Files/Photoscape/Photoscape.exe" or whatever matches your setup. Or maybe just "wine /Photoscape/photoscape.exe"

3. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

If I used WINE to install Photoscape then it was automatic. I don't know how to manually use the WINE application. I don't have a problem opening Photoscape from the desktop icon or within the main menu. It does not open a photo when clicking on the photoscape.desktop name in the open with other applications list that drops down when choosing a photo to open within a folder. This is the problem. I have not found a way to make it the default photo viewer or even open a photo from a folder. I have to open Photoscape from the desktop and then search for the photo folder to open. This is not what i want. I need to know what exactly to place in the terminal or wherever else on my OS in order to make the name in the open with other applications list active. Something is missing but i don't know what and I am not someone who knows how everything works in Linux. I just know the basics.

4. DVOM

DVOM

I googled "Photoscape linux" and all I saw involved wine. What you might try is the command in a terminal "whereis photoscape". That might find where it is.

Edit: Or you could right click the desktop icon and choose "properties". That also should tell you what you're dealing with.

5. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

I clicked on properties and copied what is in the command box. It is env WINEPREFIX="/home/caveman/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\PhotoScape\\PhotoScape.exe . I once copied this into the box under other applications where you can place a custom command to add to the list of choices. It simply added the env name to the list, which opens the Photoscape software home page. This is the same as clicking on the desktop icon to open the software. That did me no good and I can't remove the name or any name from that list. Right clicking on names in the other applications list does nothing.

6. DVOM

DVOM

I would alter that to "wine /"home/caveman/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\PhotoScape\\PhotoScape.exe"

7. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

That did not change anything other than preventing the desktop icon from opening Photoscape. The name in the open with other applications list remained inactive. I probably have to change something in a file but I have no idea what or where.

8. DVOM

DVOM

OK, I got this to work with FastStone Image Viewer.

First I couldn't get it to work with FS in my '.wine" folder so I moved the program folder to my download folder. I also had to take out the spaces so instead of FastStone Image Viewer, it was now FastStoneImageViewer.

So now the custom command was "/home/jars/Downloads/FastStoneImageViewer/FSViewer.exe". I had to do that a couple of times and then FastStone showed up in the "open with" menu. Works great.

9. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

I don't know how this will help me with Photoscape. I have downloads on my system but not a download folder with Photoscape. The Photoscape folders are in other locations. I was in a Wine folder but photoscape does not have spaces. it typically says photoscape.exe or photoscape.cfg, depending on the folder. I don't want to move and mess things up on my system when I don't know what I am doing. I already have extra Photoscape folders from trying other methods that failed. Several of them are /home/caveman/.local/share/applications/nemo_PhotoScape_V3.6.5.exe_2083900669.desktop. Those are copies of each other.

10. DVOM

DVOM

If you copy the Photoscape program folder into your Downloads folder then your custom command would be:

"/home/caveman/Downloads/PhotoScape/PhotoScape.exe"

The reason I had to copy it into the Downloads folder is that it didn't work while it was in the hidden ".wine" folder. It doesn't have to be the Downloads folder, it could be your Documents folder. Just so it's out of the hidden folder.

11. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

There are several Photoscape folders on my system. I'm not sure which one to move. The one Wine folder I see is under Home with all the other folders. I don't know if this is the hidden Wine folder you are referring to. To get to Photoscape in that Wine folder you go to drive_c, then program files and then Photoscape. There are different files in that Photoscape folder but one says photoscape.exe. Is this what I am copying to another location?

12. DVOM

DVOM

Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think you realize that the period or "dot" in front of something like ".wine" indicates that it's a "hidden" folder.

13. Cavemanj

Cavemanj Thread Starter

I did not think about that in Linux. I was not really looking. Anyway, I copied the Photoscape folder to downloads. Now, there is a photoscape.exe name in the list but it just opens the software's main page. It does not open the photo clicked on. So, now I have something else in the list that I don't need. The env in the menu does the same thing. I don't know how to get rid of anything in the list either. The problem still exists. It seems like getting a software to open the photo clicked on and making that the default viewer is difficult when it was not a software downloaded from the manager. This should be simple, not complicated. I did send an email to Linux Mint support but never got a response. This is why i posted the question here.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice