1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to adjust gamma in dell computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PlanB, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlanB

PlanB Thread Starter

Having a tough time with this. Running an aging (gracefully) Dell Dimension 2400 computer with a Gateway EV910 monitor. Looks fine for normal internet surfing, emails, news, youtube, etc. but runs very dark in video playback on programs like hulu and especially dvd playback. Using PowerDVD for that (version 5). I don't want to get super complicated with this and most sites I've been too are a little too heavy on the cyber-techy-ness of it. Even the program I downloaded for testing (Passmark) wasn't what I was looking for. Have already tried brightening the main monitor settings and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I think maybe it's in the settings of the card somewhere. I'd rather not go out and buy a new monitor, because I know I can just pump up the bright to wash everything else out if I want to watch video (works but not real well) and then switch back. But if there's a way to fix it without learning a new language to do it, I'm game. Do I need to update drivers? The ones I have are Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Any help greatly appreciated.

2. TOGG

TOGG

I don't have any expertise in this area but I am aware that version 5 of Power DVD is probably more than 7 years old and might not be capable of handling the latest video formats properly. You could try searching for new drivers that will work with Version 5 but you might not be able to find them or, if you did, the upgrade could make things worse.

Do you have a newer media player installed that you could use to check your video card and monitor's performance? VLC Media Player works well for me and I know it has settings for adjusting gamma etc; https://www.videolan.org/ If you do decide to try VLC , or any other newer player, you will need to pay special attention during installation so that any new program does not make itself the default for all file types (unless you want it to of course).

One way to avoid any potential clashes between players would be to uninstall Power DVD first, but you might not want to risk that unless you have the software on disk or still have the .exe file somewhere on your hard drive in case you want to reinstall it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice