1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to amplify wireless signal that I receive?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chickenwings, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chickenwings

chickenwings Thread Starter

The university I work at has an off-campus wireless network. But the signal to my house is very weak. What can I do to amplify this signal? Is there some kind of USB antenna available?

I use a laptop with a built-in g/b card to access wireless internet. This specific network that I'm talking about is a g network.

2. bosshogg151

bosshogg151

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

5. chickenwings

chickenwings Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions... HOWEVER... this is the problem: My current wireless access card is built in, so there's no way for me to attach a High-Gain antenna to my card.

I am surprised that no company's come up with some kind of USB solution yet, i.e. an antenna that plugs into your USB port but boosts the incoming wireless signal.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd suggest that you buy a wireless card that is not built-in.

One alternative is to buy a wireless bridge or access point. Connect the hi-gain antenna and/or booster to that, and connect it using a cable to the machine.

The only "USB Solution" would be a USB connected wireless adapter, since an antenna connected directly to the USB wouldn't accomplish much. These already exist in quantity.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631066