1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to back up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lgwill, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lgwill

lgwill Thread Starter

I would like to know the easiest way to back up my "data". I have a CDRW on computer. Can a backup to a CD be done? I have put some stuff on floppy disk in past & am always reading about the need to back-up. I do not have any business stuff on PC --just my mail & favorites & so on.
    Just finished an article on this from Tech TV & am more confused than ever.
    Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can backup to a CD, but it would be a big help if you specified something about your configuration. How much data in how many partitions would be a start. There are 100's of backup utilities that write to CD-R/RW drives.

3. lgwill

lgwill Thread Starter

I don't understand what you mean by"how much data in how many partitions". I will be happy to tell you- but don't know.
    I'm not a very advanced user--have read of people getting in over their head with Nortons "Ghost" and other programs. I would like the least problematic method to back up the most data.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Which is precisely why I ask how much data you intend to backup! As I mentioned, there are literally 100's of solutions to the problem, the correct one is going to depend on the exact nature of your "problem".

5. lgwill

lgwill Thread Starter

Well, as I said , I don't understand about partitions.

I would like to back up my programs , e-mail, favorites as much as I can. I have backed up e-mail attachments with floppy disks but this was not very efficient. I would like to back up as much of the hard drive as I can--may have to get help as I did when changing from old computer. I still don't have all of the stuff from my old computer as I had to re-download a lot of the programs & silly stuff for the grandkids.
    Will I have to purchase a program for this or can it be done to a CD? Is it do-able for anyone who is not advanced?
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice