1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to be a domain registrar

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HexStar, Sep 22, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HexStar

HexStar Guest Thread Starter

How do you become a legal domain registrar? Also, what's the rules when you're a domain registrar?

2. putasolution

putasolution

Have fun reading this

:D

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think you can accomplish quite a few things just by becoming a re-seller. Most sellers provide you with APIs. You can build your web-site in no time and you will be able to start registering domain names and accept credit card payments. Check out the terms as they differ from seller to seller.

Two reseller that come to mind at present are
    http://www.godaddy.com (Wild West Domains)
    http://www.directi.com.

Hit a search at google and you will find many of them. Some of them being reseller themselves.

To know what type of interface you can get by being a reseller with Wild West, go to http://www.1stopdomains.net. This is where I register my domains at present as I know the personnels personally. Its quite clear and user friendly.

4. HexStar

Cool thanks guys. I think I'll be a reaseller as the costs for being my own domain registrar seems like it would be REALLY expensive.:( Thanks for all your help guys!:D

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yeah it's a bit pricey, but then again you'd be able to resell to others and get commision on all of their sales :D

6. HexStar

7. KeithKman

KeithKman

Sounds like to much work. ;)

8. HexStar

Lol, well it's worth it as you usually make a lot of money being a domain registrar if you have the best prices like godaddy.com. So it's basically worth it in the end.

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

It takes money, to make money :D

10. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

But if you want to make money so that you can become a registrar, first become a re-seller and make that much money :D

11. HexStar

Yep that's what I think I'll do :D

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK, but then how did the FIRST registar start if there wasn't any resellers yet? :D

Which came first, the chicken or the egg ? (no "chicken" jokes please) :D

Which came first, the registrar or the reseller ? :p

13. putasolution

putasolution

Actually ICANN came first who then registered the registrars,

14. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Registrars are not resellers. Resellers are affiliated to registrars and sell their products (domain names in this case).

Registrars are directly affiliated to ICANN. So Registrars appoint their resellers. Its a tree like hierarchy. There is no chicken and an egg syndrome here :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice