How to be anonymous online with Incognito

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lotuseclat79

How to be anonymous online with Incognito.

There is a 2009 release .iso file from the Incognito download website. In the future they are considering migrating away from Gentoo Linux to possibly Ubuntu according to latest news. I hope they use the generic-pae (new linux image release) under Ubuntu 9.10 the development of which is underway for release in October 2009, so that those of us with 4GB (32-bit processor populated motherboards, not wishing to install the 64-bit release for PAE) can use all or most of 4GB instead of 3GB.

I am trying to test out the new 2009 release, but the CD-RW disc that I used is coming up with a booting problem that repeats:
isolinux: Disk error 10, AX=4280, drive EF
Boot failed: press a key to retry ...

I am about to try another CD-RW disc to see if I can even boot the release. It comes with a .DIGEST file with md5 sums - my download checked out, and there is also a .asc file to check the gpg signature with a public key which needs to be added to your keyring. See: GPG/PGP Key Series for more information on verifying downloads with gpg public keys. This series is worth the bookmark for future reference.

Note: Tor is at release 2.1.19, and Tork is at release 0. 31.1 from sourceforge.net. You can compile Tork for the KDE environment by following the instructions How to configure/compile/install tork source code for KDE 4.1.2 Intrepid Ibex (I used what I had compiled for Intrepid on Jaunty). I highly recommend you use the latest release of Tor (security updates) and Tork with Polipo instead of Privoxy as Polipo (which can be launched from a user account as a background process with & at the end of the polipo command) does pipelining (which Privoxy does not) for a better user experience.

-- Tom

lotuseclat79

Ok, my CD-RW disc has Disk error problems, and using another CD-RW disc got a good burn and was able to bootup ok.

I had two problems with the beta release:
1) F2 did not present a verbose mode, and
2) the mouse did not work

Other than those two things it booted up ok, but was not usable - unless I suppose I should try keyboard shortcut commands - time to get out the cheat sheets and try again.

I sent feedback to the author at his website with other comments and recommendation to use the new linux image generic-pae release due out with Karmic Koala (9.10) in October release time frame.

Currently, I am using my own roll of the latest Tor, Tork, Polipo on Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04 and it comes up on the Tor connection in less than 15-20 seconds with Torbutton in Icecat green and an http request to verify that my ip address is anonymous (i.e. not my real ip address).

-- Tom

lotuseclat79

Got an email back from the author on those problems, and I will be attempting to follow the advice to determine if they are real problems or can be avoided.

Anyone else try out the release and had a problem or two? Let's hear your experience.

There is a 2008 release you can try out at the download website that works.

-- Tom

I just downloaded the incognito-i686-2009_0-beta.iso file from cjb.net. through your link above. I`m using it as we speak. Havent played with it much yet, still reading trying to learn how to use tor. Burned to cd-r and everything appears to be working, verbose mode, mouse, internet, took tor a good while to load and initialise. Reminds me of some of the older versions of knoppix. It`s slow, but most of the live cd`s are. I`m gonna try it on another machine tomorrow and see if it will load into ram to speed it up a little, dont have enough on this machine. It`ll be interesting to hear what others have found

lotuseclat79

Hi itsjusme,

Thanks for the feedback. I am still experiencing mouse problems - I have a Logitech USB Optical keyboard and mouse.

What releases of Tork and Tor is the beta release using? I know it still uses KDE 3.5 as I can now boot it up, but have no mouse control, so I can't use it yet.

-- Tom

TOR version is 0.2.0.34 R18423
TORK is 0.31
KDE is 3.5.9
VIDALIA is 0.1.12
Last night everything seemed to be working ok, i was anonymous, with a different IP address, went to several sites with no problem. This morning, TOR says it`s enabled and working , but i get this when i try to try to open any site or even do a search.
.............................................................................................................................
We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:
Please enable images on your browser.
See Google Help for more information.

© 2009 Google - Google Hom
...........................................................................................................................
I am guessing that this is a network problem since it was working last night, but it could be a bug. Maybe i can play with it some more tonight and see.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online