1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to block this Virus

Discussion in 'General Security' started by memevertical, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. memevertical

memevertical Thread Starter

Hi Everyone.

I own a Computer Support Shop. I'm always Re-installing Windows, and downloading neccessary drivers for each client, but, I know that there are Viruses that can spread through the network.

And every computer I fix here, connects to the internet to install updates, but I want to know how can I give access to that computer to the internet, but not to the other computers.

I know that one fix could be Firewalls and stuff, but still, I wish that computers could be in totally seperate Networks. And some computer that are part of different workgroups can still see each other.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Assuming you are now using some kind of router to connected to a broadband modem, you could insert a second router between the existing router and the broadband modem. Any untrusted computers would connect to this new router and would not be able to see any of the computers connected through the original router (unless you set up specific port forwarding on the original router).

3. memevertical

memevertical Thread Starter

Oh ok, so you're saying that Untrusted computers will conect to the closest router to the modem. And they can only see computers that are connected to that same router, but not the other router?

Are you sure that when Computers get IP addresses, even if they are on different routers, they wont consider them selves to be part of the same network, and there for see each other?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    We have a setup at work where all internal computers and server connect to one router via a 24 port switch. The IP address range is 192.168.0.1 (router's address) through 192.168.0.255.

The WAN/Internet port of that router has fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2 . The WAN/Internet port connects to the LAN port of a second router. The IP address range of the LAN ports on that second router is 192.168.1.1 (router's address) through 192.168.1.255. The WAN port on that router is set to our static public IP address and connected to our high speed cable modem.

That second router is set put 192.168.1.2 in its DMZ zone. This will pass all traffic that is not NATed to another LAN port, to go to out internal LAN router. We have several LAN based security cameras connected to the second router. These cameras can be viewed from both the LAN and Internet. That second router also has a WEP encrypted WiFi Access Point. The WEP key is not too long and not too difficult for a visitor to enter into their laptop. We also have one Network jack in the conference room connected to a LAN port on the second router. The router has DHCP enabled for a small range addresses. This gives visitors full wired or wireless internet access but they can not see any of the computers or server on the internal LAN.

NOTE: A static public IP address is not needed for this to work. We only have it to simplify a VPN connection that few people need to their desktop PCs while out of the office.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have to understand how ip addresses and subnet masks work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice