1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to block wireless access from my router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xpsolutions, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpsolutions

xpsolutions Thread Starter

I have an SMC WBR-2804 Router connecting two wired computers to the internet.
    I dont think this router comes with a password feature to block intruders/outsiders accessing my internet
    connection.
    Is there any other way to block outsiders accessing the internet through my router?
    Will unscrewing the two antennas block the wireless access?

All responses appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

exactly what are you trying to stop
    if this is wireless and you are not using wireless - you should be able to log into the router and turn off the wireless OR you can set a wireless security passcode use WPA2 if you have that on the router

otherwise would you explan what you are trying to stop happen

3. xpsolutions

xpsolutions Thread Starter

im trying to stop any wireless access to the internet via my wireless router. I believe this router has
    no security feature that blocks wireless access to the internet pending a password. In the meantime will try logging into the router to turn off the wireless. If thats possible (old router), then thats it. Job done.

will post feedback.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

user manual here -
    http://www.smc.com/files/AL/MN_SMC2804WBR_MN_E.pdf
    I cant see an option to disable the wireless - but you could set up a WEP key - remove the aerials and also setup Mac filtering, so only those Mac address are allowed on the router

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Sometimes manuals are less than perfect, so check the Wireless Mode (page 43 of the manual to which etaf linked) to see if there is a 'off'' or 'none' or disabled' option. If not, removing the antenna(s) should keep out anybody more than a few feet away.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967551