1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to boost signal of public wifi which demand user and password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joe6398, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joe6398

joe6398 Thread Starter

hello everyone,

my problem is how to boost the signal of public wifi
    which demands user name and password (web authentication ),
    like in hotels, or even from Iphone hotspot.

Right now i am using acess point TP-LINK WA801ND,
    which in universal REPEATER mood increase signal of private wifi,
    but failed to do so when needed web authentication.
    To be more exact, the connection is made but the page with user name and password never comes.
    my question so would be : is there a way to overcome this problem using this device,
    or is there any other device like maybe strong antenna which will make the work for me ??

thank you in advance

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you checked with the hotel personnel? In some cases they have a poorly designed wireless network, but in other cases the Wi-Fi is meant for only part of the hotel and they supply ethernet connections to the other rooms.

3. joe6398

joe6398 Thread Starter

Thank you , but my question was general , not any particular hotel. In many hotels the signal is strong at the corridor , but poor inside rooms. i had been trying to connect with the AP in many hotels and also to wifi services of big mobile companies, always the same. the laptop alone manage to connect and get internet if i go where signal is strong. when use the AP i manage to boost the signal inside the room very strongly, but cannot get internet coz page with user name and password fails to come.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A more powerful antenna always has promise, especially if it can be placed several feet away from the computer. Otherwise, I know no answer to your general question.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A "Rube Goldberg" solution that may work, at least in some situations, is to connect to the network with a computer and then use ICS to share that connection with an ethernet or second Wi-Fi connection to communicate with the computer(s) you actually use.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice