1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to boot from IDE with a SATA Controller Card installed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Obinice, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

The title says it all =P

Today I got a SATA Controller Card and hooked up the new SATA HDDs to the system that already had two IDE HDDs, one of which is the OS drive (System Info Note: 2nd HDD not connected at time of report).

Now the problem is, with the new HDDs active when the PC is turned on, Windows doesn't boot. I'm guessing that for some reason the system is trying to boot from the SATA HDDs. I can get into Windows just fine and check out the drives if I disconnect their power until Windows has booted up. All is working, all is normal.

Fiddling with the boot priorities in the BIOS has yielded no positive results, and I get that same depressing blank screen.

Have you any thoughts? This sure confuses me. Thanks!

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

You should be able to set your priority on your main BIOS, and it seems like the SATA card has it's own boot priority in it's own BIOS. Which card is it? Manufacturer/Model please. During boot you should see something related to the SATA card, such as "Press CTRL+S to enter setup" or something to that affect.

3. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Just as I was out talking to someone a few minutes ago about the problem I came upon the same thought :) I can't work out how to get into the card's BIOS settings however. There is indeed a boot screen for the card, which also lists the HDDs connected via the card. However I can't work out what the key combo I should press is (it gives no detail). I've looked in the card's Manual, but it doesn't help one bit.

The link to the card is here as it is in the first post too =)

Thanks for the help, I'm stumped as to how to get into its BIOS...

4. accat13

accat13

You may not be offered any access to the sata card bios on boot up...My sil3132 based card only offers access when a raid bios is flashed to the sata card....When I use the base bios I have no options to access the cards bios on bootup...The information about the card that is required is located in your device manager under "scsi and raid controllers" Mine shows up as a sil3132 sata link controller...Although the card is a vantec the important info is the chip manufacturer

5. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Mine shows up as "Silicon Image Sil 3512 SATALink Controller". If I have no access to its settings, how can I tell it not to take over boot priority? :(

6. accat13

accat13

I've installed my card in two separate machines and had it boot from both(found it harder to get it to boot from it)....Your boot priority should be in your regular bios. Once you set hardrive as a priority you have to choose which drive to boot from(separate option) "hard drive boot priority" or hard disk can't remember...

7. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Yeah the boot priority goes CD-ROM, Floppy, and then the HDD with the OS on. It was the first thing I checked out, and it makes no difference. Could it have anything to do with the fact that it's a PC from 2001 and I've never updated the BIOS? (to be honest, I wouldn't even know where to look for an update anyway).

The only other two options besides fixing this problem are:

a) Install Windows to one of the new drives and presumably it will go ahead and boot from them just fine (I don't want to do that, they are for storage not an OS, plus what would I do with the spare old 40GB drive anyway..)
    b) A bit more of a direct approach, hook up a power switch to the SATA drives and only throw the power on after Windows has begun booting (kinda what I've done already to make it work thus far :p But it's extra work..)

Buuut, I don't really want to do ether of those. Any other ideas? :) Thanks, by the way.

8. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I wouldn't ordinarily bump a thread (many forums concider it rude) but I think the reason this thread needs bumping is that not only is it now on page 6 of the threads in this forum, but also the fact that it has 6 views may make people think the problem has been solved, you know?

Anyhoo it hasn't :( If no one has any ideas, I'm all out? I'll just have to fit a switch to the case that flips the power for the two SATA drives on/off at will. A bit of a straight-forward method of fixing the problem but I see no other means.... :(

9. accat13

accat13

I think I would be booting off one of the newer sata drives before I tried a switch...

10. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Well the way I see the switch approach is like this. I have an external SATA HDD enclosure sat on my desk right now. The SATA connection itself goes straight from the HDD inside to the motherboard, no in-between action on the part of the enclosure. The only thing the enclosure provides besides portability is power. It's off at the moment, but when I flip the switch it will suddenly be providing power to the HDD, then it's detected by the system etc.

So since that's pretty much the same as my idea for the switch, I figure it's no harm, right?

I agree it would perhaps be simpler to boot from one of the SATA HDDs. But they are for storage only (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist :rolleyes: lol). One will be a backup of the other, and later I will also be getting two more for the same purposes if I decide I need the extra space :) I don't want to clutter them up with an OS, installed software, and so on.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all pulling or connecting power to a hard disk when the system is powered ON is really asking for a problem. Stop that immediately.

Next have you read your manual as to how to select a boot drive? Each bios is different so I cannot give you detailed instructions. You should be able to select the hd to boot from; again read the manual.

12. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I've tried changing boot priorities, as it stands it's set up as it should be, but it won't listen to me, lol.

Also (without trying to sound annoying, as I'm grateful you've come to offer advice) I'd like to ask, if powering up/down a storage SATA HDD while the system is on is a bad idea, why is this Icy Box enclosure designed to do just that? :confused:

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only devices that can be hot plugged are usb and drives/controllers that support hot swapping. You made no mention of hot swapping capabilities. Pulling or connecting power to a standard type drive, is a no no.

Next it is NOT boot order you need to set; it is hd order. Again read your manual as to where this setting is located. Each bios is different. With that old of a system, you may or may not have the option to set hd order.

14. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I don't see anything in the manual that would help I'm afraid, it looks like as you say there is nothing to set HDD order. I've already been through all the various pages in the settings and could see nothing that looked remotely like it could help :(

I don't think the motherboard BIOS detects the SATA HDDs actually, at least not until later on when the controller card "detects them". There is nothing anywhere in the BIOS settings to indicate that they do or that anything I do there has any effect on them at all, and I can't access controller card settings.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not "See" drives connected to a sata controller in the motherboard bios. They are not connected to any motherboard controller. You would only "See" these drives in a raid card bios however the card you bought is not a raid card. It is a simple sata controller card and does not have a bios you can access [at least all of the sata controller cards I have seen do not have an accessible bios only raid cards need this]

If you have no boot order setting, the only two things you can do are as follows;

1 RMA the card and go with another type ie promise or highpoint. FWIW I have never heard of the brand you have purchased.

2 Install windows on one of the drives connected to the controller. Note it is possible to do this without having to clean install. If you do clean install, you will need to load the sata driver during setup. XP has almost no native support for sata cards. If you are using vista, it will most likely not need a driver loaded.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice