How to boot to USB drive in Win10

jenniebear525

Hi everyone! I recently got a job through Arise which requires me to boot to their Arise Secure Desktop via a flash drive. I have tried several times to start my computer, hit F9 and the flash drive does not come up at all for me to boot to. I have tried going through Arise for technical help but they said they don't know what's wrong. I hope I'm posting this is in the correct area. If anyone can help me figure out how to boot to the flash drive or what system settings I may need to change in order to do so, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Is the PC supplied via Arise or just their boot USB?
Often you need to rapidly click the boot key as soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo To open the temporary boot menu. On my laptop this is F7.
You may have to hold the function key while clicking F9.

Couriant

James
It may be due to the how it's configured.

What is the make/model/serial of your machine?

jenniebear525

Is the PC supplied via Arise or just their boot USB?
Often you need to rapidly click the boot key as soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo To open the temporary boot menu. On my laptop this is F7.
You may have to hold the function key while clicking F9.
The PC is not supplied by Arise, but it is the one they ask that you purchase to service with them. The USB was not provided by them either. They gave a link to one they suggested you purchase, which I did, and then I followed the directions for downloading the Arise Secure Desktop onto it. At that point, I followed the steps given to boot to the flash drive, but the flash drive was not listed as an option. (Powered off the computer, restarted, hit F9 to get to the boot menu, and it's not there.)

Couriant

James
For reference, you have this HP-Compaq 8200 Elite Base Model Small Form Factor PC

I suspect 2 things:

1) the USB is not set to be bootable
2) the software is set to being used as UEFI boot but you are set to Legacy.

How did you put their browser on the USB? Was it an install file that installed and configured your USB?

jenniebear525

It was an app they had me download called ASD Builder that supposedly configured the USB for me.

Couriant

James
OK, so it looks like it builds the USB for you. Then I am wondering if it's a boot configuration issue.

Are you able to see an EFI folder in the root folder of the USB drive?

Couriant

James
hmm is there anything in the E: drive one? As to the picture I would though there were more than just that folder. How much space does it take up and how much you have left?

Couriant

James
OK, so I am guessing that somehow this USB has 2 partitions.

Can you please go to Disk Management (right click on Start Menu button, left click on Disk Managment) and check the Disks:

1620446201015.png

If I am right, you should see a Disk 0 (your Hard Drive) and then Disk 1, which should be your USB. Check to see if the 32GB amount shows and if there are 2 boxes on that line.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
James, does it strike you as odd that the flash drive is formatted FAT? Not FAT32 or NTFS ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online