Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to boot to USB drive in Win10

1K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently got a job through Arise which requires me to boot to their Arise Secure Desktop via a flash drive. I have tried several times to start my computer, hit F9 and the flash drive does not come up at all for me to boot to. I have tried going through Arise for technical help but they said they don't know what's wrong. I hope I'm posting this is in the correct area. If anyone can help me figure out how to boot to the flash drive or what system settings I may need to change in order to do so, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Is the PC supplied via Arise or just their boot USB?
Often you need to rapidly click the boot key as soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo To open the temporary boot menu. On my laptop this is F7.
You may have to hold the function key while clicking F9.

#4 ·
Is the PC supplied via Arise or just their boot USB?
Often you need to rapidly click the boot key as soon as you see the manufacturer's logo To open the temporary boot menu. On my laptop this is F7.
You may have to hold the function key while clicking F9.
The PC is not supplied by Arise, but it is the one they ask that you purchase to service with them. The USB was not provided by them either. They gave a link to one they suggested you purchase, which I did, and then I followed the directions for downloading the Arise Secure Desktop onto it. At that point, I followed the steps given to boot to the flash drive, but the flash drive was not listed as an option. (Powered off the computer, restarted, hit F9 to get to the boot menu, and it's not there.)

#6 ·
For reference, you have this HP-Compaq 8200 Elite Base Model Small Form Factor PC

I suspect 2 things:

1) the USB is not set to be bootable
2) the software is set to being used as UEFI boot but you are set to Legacy.

How did you put their browser on the USB? Was it an install file that installed and configured your USB?

#14 ·
OK, so I am guessing that somehow this USB has 2 partitions.

Can you please go to Disk Management (right click on Start Menu button, left click on Disk Managment) and check the Disks:

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

If I am right, you should see a Disk 0 (your Hard Drive) and then Disk 1, which should be your USB. Check to see if the 32GB amount shows and if there are 2 boxes on that line.

#15 ·
James, does it strike you as odd that the flash drive is formatted FAT? Not FAT32 or NTFS ...

#16 ·
hmm that is a good point. I did miss that. :up: 10MB... I wonder if something failed and didn't do this properly, so now there are 2 partitions on the drive and the other partition is meant to be the data for the secure browser?

@jenniebear525 is the software accessible to the public, i.e. there is no login required?

#17 ·
Is the USB a reputable brand?
It appears the USB may not have been created successfully.
Does the software format the drive before installing the boot software? If yes then it should be correct.
Ensure you’ve downloaded the version for Windows & not Mac.

#19 ·
It seems to have created three partitions, 2 of which are used which doesn’t seem correct.
Is the software installed on the first partition or the second (F) partition?
Are there other files on the first (2.10 GB) partition?
Were all the USB drives blank with only one partition before creating the media?

#21 ·
The USB drive Sandisk Ultra came as a two-pack. I'm gonna put a new one in and see if anything is on it.

EDIT- There was! Two partitions with two getting started guides. One for Mac and one for Windows as well as directions for setting up a password-protected section FAT32. I deleted the files and reformatted it so it's blank. I'm going to attempt to install the ASD onto this and see if that changes anything.

#24 ·
I assume the USB stick looks better now, as in it has more than the 1 file?

As to the issue, since the computer doesn't show a hard drive in the UEFI part and only in the Legacy option, I am wondering if the computer is set to Legacy and not UEFI boot. Have you tried the USB in all of the ports? Sometimes with older Dells you can use only one specific port.

I am tagging our resident hardware person @crjdriver to see if he can provide some insight on this machine and the boot.

#25 ·
It would appear that the system is set to legacy. See this pic with the hard disk listed under legacy boot devices.
As a simple test, see if you can boot the system with a different usb ie windows install usb, linux live usb, etc. This will tell you if the problem is with your system OR with the usb you made.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.