1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to bring laptop running Win7 out of stand by via USB keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bonecrusher123, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hi all, i'm running win7 here and was wondering if i can tell it to come out of stand by via the USB keyboard/mouse? at the moment, it only comes out of stand by or 'sleep' if i touch the actual laptop keyboard.

thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure if this will work, but ...

Check the laptop's advanced power settings to see if you have the option of leaving the USB power on while in Standby mode. This may allow the external mouse and/or keyboard to wake up the computer. It will place an extra load on the battery and shorten the available operating time if the computer is not running off an external supply.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not set it to come out of sleep when you open the cover? That's what most people do, isn't it? At least I do.

Hibernation doesn't use any power, though slower to resume.

4. Bonecrusher123

ok i just checked this in windows control panel and it all looks good.

5. Bonecrusher123

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Your previous post said it all looks good. Did you find a setting for leaving the USB power on during hibernation?

7. Bonecrusher123

all good as in 'it looks ok' but it's still not working.

8. patcoghlan

patcoghlan

I'm not sure why it's happening but at my end I have no problem waking up my laptop using external mouse or keyboard

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Maybe start with a quick test to make sure the keyboard is powered during standby. Make sure at least one indicator light (caps lock, num lock, etc.) is lit on the keyboard and then let the computer go into standby. The light(s) should remain lit.

If the keyboard remains powered in standby, then you might want to see if there is anything in the BIOS settings to waken the computer when any activity is detected on the USB port.

If you still have a problem, post the brand and full model name/number of the laptop. Then, maybe someone here can confirm it can be done and tell you how to do it.

10. Bonecrusher123

ok, i just checked and when the laptop goes into standby the keyboard has no lights on. how can i fix this?

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just to make sure we are clear on this, were one or more lights lit on the USB keyboard before going into standby, and then they go out when in standby?

Again, just to make sure we are clear on this, does the power settings control panel have a specific option to keep the USB ports powered when in standby mode, AND that option is enabled? There may be separate options settings for when running on battery only and for when powered externally.

If the above settings appear correct, then the control panel application may not be working correctly. In that case, power cycle the computer and go into the BIOS settings to see if there is a power option setting to keep the USB ports powered up in standby mode.

12. HalfwayHose

HalfwayHose

See this posting which I made some time back and got no answer to. It seems like you are wanting what I was trying to stop. I wanted the USB power off and you want it to on. There is a link to a MSoft KB that might solve it for you.

http://forums.techguy.org/8102456-post1.html

I eventually solved my problem with a Registry tweak, but can't exactly remember what, but my USB ports now all power down with Sleep, Hibernate and Shut Down.

{edit}
    Oh, and by the way, my win7-starter netbook with a USB radio-mouse comes out of sleep with the slightest of movement, so it is possible to achieve.
    {/edit}

13. Bonecrusher123

yea, they're on right now, but turn off when the machine goes into standby/hibernate.
    ok i just double checked in 'power options' and have set 'USB suspend' to disable because it was set to enable before. would that make a difference?

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It would make a difference. My educated guess would be that disabling USB Suspend would keep the power applied, but I am not going to try to second guess the logic used by Microsoft. The power control panel software make make a distinction between running on battery or AC power and you might want to double check you are changing the USB power settings for when running on AC power (which I will assume you are).

What is the brand and exact model number of the computer? We might be able to search on line to see if they have any issues with USB power settings.

15. Bonecrusher123

oh ok. it's a dell latitude e4200.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice