How to build my own version of Linux?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Leiki

I don't really know what OS's like "SuSe", "Mandrake", "Debian", etc. are called when it comes to being a "version" of Linux.

I was just wondering if anyone had any help, tips, in-depth explanation, etc. of how to build my own....version. I'm not saying it's an over-night thing, and I don't plan to have it be redistributed anywhere, I just want to make one! I'm intermediate in C++, though I doubt that will help any.

Thanks for your help.

Is it not the job for LFS (Linux From Scratch)?

I have never paid much attention to it but I think there are a few distros specially developed for the users to "build" their own distributions. They appear in the DistroWatch from time to time.

Suggest you to have a look at the DsitroWatch.com because it does have write-ups mentioning different classes of distros.

I believe a Distro become a family of its own after it has developed a good package management system, able to provide technical supports, has a core team of committed developers, has got a robust installer and able to keep pace with the moving development of the kernel system. Suse (German) and Mandrake (France) are sold commercially and they do have a higher level of sophistication commensurate with large organisations.

Debian is noncommercial but has a much wider user-base across the Globe. The standard distributions of Debian are stable, by using older kernels, but lags behind in term of technology and attention to details.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online