1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to buy a DVD drive on eBay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anne Troy, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
    Here's the scoop:

I got Office 2007. I try to install it and I can't. Why? Because I learn that the first disk is actually a DVD and not a CD. I only have a CD drive. Now, I need to get this installed and I'm a pretty heavy eBay user, but I know next to nothing about the differences in drives.

I think I want an external one, unless they're considerably more.
    Do I want a combination DVD/CD? (Do they come any other way?)

Would love for someone to just point to a good buy that's as cheap as can be.

Thanks very much!

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

If you are comfortable fitting an internall one I would pcik that... but first colour preference..

With disk drives as cheap as they are most important hing really is colour :) (Well there are more important but... :p)

3. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Hi,

I too am a usually delighted ebayer and in many genre of items, but the above post is right re combo optical dirves, they are very very affordable now.

When it comes to this item, given that and the fact that some eBay vendors gouge on shipping and some have very iffy return policies, I would totally first check Newegg.

I look everywhere but when it comes to drives ram, KBs & optical mice, speakers, etc., I usually find better buys and better policies there...here: http://www.newegg.com/

Another option might be Tiger dDrect. In last couple of years they've become very competitive. I got both my LCD screens from them for amazing prices and they have some very good sales:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/indexus.asp?SRCCODE=WEBGOOTD&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

Along with, no question color;) you should probably check the bezel (rim) around the opening of your computer in front of the optical drive bay though most drives would probably fit, and you may have two openings if you have room for two drives in your optical bay.

And I think you should definitely get a combo drive, and writable (CD/DVD-R)...it's simple logic given you will have both formats & all options covered, and all new puters come with these. Assuming you are dealing with a desktop I think you should only consider internal if you are at all handy. Far more cost efficient and after installation....no hassles.

If U R insane infant like I am....you could also consider a Lightscribe-enabled drive....which burns labels on top of the disks using special software & more expensive blanks with both sides burnable. But this technology is young and the label burning, depending on the label you choose takes a very long time.

Good luck!
    Jill

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
  5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
    Missed. Dang.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the computer doesn't have a DVD drive, I'd be seriously skeptical that it meets the minimum system requirements for Office 2007.

And I wouldn't buy something as cheap and readily available as a DVD drive on eBay. I'd pick a retailer with a good warranty and return policy.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
    Nah. I bought a custom, somewhat minimized, Dell because we already had one PC that had a writer, etc....

8. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Hi, Anne,

Yes....that was an excellent drive! Challenge is always to determine your max bid.....cause it really did go 4 an amazing price. You will find another given you found that one!

As for specs and optical drives....some older systems with only CD opticals, I think, have enough juice for your Office.

Best!

Jill

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
    It's not very old... LOL.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking. :)

Attached Files:

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Anne
  11. Cildaten

Cildaten

12. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice