1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Cancel AOL, or Convert to Free Account

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by VAComputerSvcs, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs Thread Starter

If you have a user who pays for AOL and has broadband, they can switch their account to a free AOL account without any drawbacks or issues. The only thing that is missed is the ability to call tech support and dial-up.

This is ideal when you are setting them up with an e-mail solution like Outlook or Thunderbird, save them a few bucks and they still keep their AOL the way they like it :)

Within the AOL Software
    1. Sign in with the master screen name (first one listed on the sign on screen)
    2. Press CTRL+K and type CHANGEPLAN, press enter
    3. Follow the instructions to choose the Free plan

You can also go to https://bill.aol.com/changePlan/changePlan.adp and sign in with the AOL screen name and complete it that way. To confirm the changes, just go to https://bill.aol.com/ and view the price plan to see the conversion.

Nothing else is changed, except saving them some money. ;-) Besides, if they did need tech support, they can call and upgrade them ... but who needs that when they've got you. :)

From the AOL Help article on canceling AOL...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. dotty999

dotty999 Dotty

but nothing is free! you still have to subscribe to an ISP to use the internet:confused:

4. firestormer

firestormer

What you describe dosnt actualy happen. Its impossible. AOL are incapeable of being helpfull. Please see the follwing thread:
    Why you should hate AOL: Why you hate AOL

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have personally experienced this behavior, my call was very similar to the one that I previously posted. I finally thought I had his AOL cancelled, only to find out months later that he's still paying them. :( AOL is a major PITA, and should be drawn and quartered!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572587