1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to capture the data following via RS232 in ASCII format.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Signode, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Signode

Signode Thread Starter

Hi;

We have a slitter scorer machine in which tools are placed via servo motors. Servo motor is controlled with servo drive and each servo drive is sent the values of a set of parameters to set a job. The main control system is DOS based which sends the values of parameters to all drives according to job. The data flowing is as MS DOS_RS232 port >>> RS232 to 485 converter >>> parallel connection to all servo Com ports. I want to monitor the data following from MS DOS to drives for which I have arranged another RS232 to 485 converter and connected a wire from TX+ terminal of 1st Comm module to the TX- terminal of 2nd Comm module. If I enable the hyper terminal, I see the data following but un-understandable format.

The format of data following from MSDOS PC to drives is like "7E-BF-02-04-3C-00" in ASCII format. So to read it I downloaded MS “PortMon” software which is used to monitor data following via RS232 port. I have windows XP and when I run the software, “Not Connected” is shown on the top bar. Please help how to make it “Connect” to capture the data. Or if anyone has any other idea to capture the data following, please assist.

2. Signode

Signode Thread Starter

If someone guide me about PortMon that how to make it "Connected" it would be enough for me. This time when i run PortMon, "Not Connected" displays at the top write corner.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!