1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to carry cell's data through hyperlink in Excel??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Nikil, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nikil

Nikil Thread Starter

Hi...
    I have a picular requirment. I need to carry cell information to different range. In simple ..What my requirment is...when i click on a hyperlink placed in cell, that not only jump to the given address, it also should carry the cell information to the destination cell.
    for example : i have employee number from a1:a5. say ..
    a1 - > 100
    a2 -> 101
    a3 -> 102
    a4-> 103
    a5->104
    if user click on hyperlink 100, it should jump to the destination cell (same sheet or differnt sheet or different workbook) as well as it should carry the information 100 and pate it in destination range.
    say if A1 of sheet1 contains hyperlink like this =HYPERLINK("#Sheet2!A10","100"). if i click on this link it should jump along with the information 100.
    I dont want to use any VBA CODE. Can we achive it using any excel features or built in formulas??
    i used formula in destination cell like =CELL("contents",Sheet1!A1) ..but it doesn't solve my problem because this is static ..Whatever hyperlink i click, it still shows 100 only.
    Hope anyone can plese let me know whether is it possible or not ? any alternative solution or ideas ?? :confused:
    Thnks & Rgds

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Just to clarify, in the receiving cell, do you want it to say "A1,100" or something like that?

3. Nikil

Nikil Thread Starter

Hi.. Sorry! for late reply..
    I don’t have any problem to put a formula in destination cell or some where in the cells for rough work (intermediate result). What my intention is it should carry source cell's information to the destination cell when user clicks on that source data cell i.e. hyperlink or ... what ever is that?
    Thanks

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

A hyperlink is a command that carries you from one place/page/location to another. The ones you are most familiar with are from the web - you click on a link and that next page opens (technically, it can be to a location within the same page as well). In Excel, a hyperlink can take you to another cell in the same worksheet, another cell in another worksheet in the same workbook or even to a location in a whole different place, not necessarily even in Excel (say, in a Word document - just to make sure, I did this in about 10 seconds - really easy).
    However, it sounds like what you want is not a hyperlink in the traditional sense - it sounds like you want the data from the source cell (say that it is Sheet 1, A1) to be written into the recipient location (say that it is Sheet 2, B3) when the data in Sheet 1, A1 is clicked on. Is that it?
    Do you also want the user to be sent to the recipient cell (Sheet 2, B3) when the data in the source cell is clicked on?

5. Nikil

Nikil Thread Starter

Hi..
    What you said is right. I want to copy the data from source cell to the destination cell when user click on sorce cell infromation. I have no restriction whether it is Hyperlink or some thing else.
    No need to move the user to destination cell.
    In fact, how does my excel workbook look with Name ranges and formulas. when user clicks on employee id 100 ....it should pick the number and paste at destination cell. Automatically formula calcilation wiil be done in that names range by picking that number. i.e. it calculates all the details for employee id for 100. if user click on employee id:101, then named range will perform calcilation for employee id 101.
    Thanks

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You can't do that with built-in functionality. Why don't you just have a referenced formula? So, where you have this hyperlink set to (i.e. Sheet2, A10), type in =Sheet1!A1 ? This will keep it updated for you. Or do you plan on changing the hyperlink reference? The only other way to do this would be via VBA. There is no other way to trap a hyperlink [event].

7. Nikil

Nikil Thread Starter

Thanks Zack,
    I cann't use normal reference. I need to carry sorce cell information dynamically when the user click on sorce cell data. Here my destination cell is same for all the source cells.
    Thanks for clarifing my doubts.

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Thanks, Zack. It sounded over my head - sounded like something that you would need VBA for. But that's why we have you and some of the others!

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Out of curiosity, why can you not use a VBA approach?

10. Nikil

Nikil Thread Starter

Well..I'm working on 'Excel Services' which is one of the feature in MS-Share Point 2007. It do not allow any macros,XLAs to publish an excel workbook.

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

No, from what I read, 'Excel Services' is a web-based, browser read software. Another kind of thing entirely from Excel. Unfortunately, while it is HTML and DHTML based, the type of thing you are wanting requires coding peculiar to that software. However, this link may help:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms583494.aspx

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!