Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to change a user profile

25K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  darrell,j 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you for your help.

I need to change a user profile name on a laptop using Windows XP -

I have searched but can't find how to do this.

How do I proceed please?

Thank you

#3 ·
Hi,
Changing the name can be done, but you would want to transfer the old name files over to the new name. Suggest you follow the instructions in this Microsoft article:
Copy data to new profile
It involves creating a new user and transferring the data over to the new profile from the existing one. You can then remove the unwanted user in Control Panel => User Accounts.

Note: When it comes to copying the files to the New User, you can't be logged in as either the user you are copying from, or the user you are copying to, so I suggest you boot to Safe Mose and log in using the Administrator account.

Luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies... I have already explored both options that you suggest.

Neither of these changes the name that appears in System Information - System Summary and look on the right side...

#7 ·
Well, I understood at one point that it would be possible to change the registry... I would like to keep all the settings and if I create a new user profile it is not at all guaranteed that the mail settings will be copied...

Does anyone know how to change the information in the registry please.

#9 ·
Just a quick note from experience, if you do in fact create a new user account, and transfer files to it, make sure that all of your temporary files, cookies, and anything related to temporary is all cleaned up, or it will give you a transfer error, and cause you to lose some very important files, causing you to maybe having to reformat, as I did; and they do not mention that in the microsoft fix-So buyer beware LoL
Other than that, it seems to work fine, but it was already to late. LoL
Also make sure you copy not cut.
Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.