1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change a win 2k serial number

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1_rob_1, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Ive been asked to move a hard drive from 1 pc to another. The hard drive only has a restore disk for the operating system, and all the files need to stay intact. The hard drive on the other pc crashed & has been binned, this pc had a restore partition, so no op sys disk. Both pcs have licence stickers on them for Win 2k. I dont want to swap the stickers from 1 case to another, so, is it possible to change the operating system serial number to the one which is on the case without having to reinstall windows?
    (I presume that it is legal to do this, but it does seem to be a bit of a grey area)

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Nobody?

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

You generally can't move a Primary Hard drive from one computer to another, unless they have identical Hardware, Motherboards etc. A Format and clean install is the only real option.

I am not sure about changing the key.

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Windows op systems pre xp are a lot more forgiving if you change hardware. so that part would probably work.
    I am hoping to find out how to change the key if it can be done. It would save a lot of time not having to back up & restore all the installed settings, files & progs. it would also save having to buy a new win 2k cd.

6. joniuk

joniuk

The is a program you can use that changes the Porduct Key of a Windows install. Search "Windows product key changer" on Google.

John.

7. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Tried searching for a Windows product key changer. It looks like they only work for Win XP.
    I dont think it can be changed for Win 2K at all.
    I ended up leaving the working pc alone, & buying & loading XP on the other.

Thanks for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice