How to change BIOS settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AntonABC

I was told in order to install Windows XP I have to change the BIOS setting so that
the computer boots from CD.

My Boot sequence in my BIOS settings are : A,C,SCSI

My question is how to change it ?

Thanks for any help

AntonABC

Use your up and down arrows to select your settings then <enter> . An information box on the right hand side should then tell you how to change the settings - usually page up and page down or repeatedly pressing enter. Do whatever it says until CDROM is the first on the list then save and exit ( usually F10) and Y and <enter>.

AntonABC said:
I was told in order to install Windows XP I have to change the BIOS setting so that
the computer boots from CD.

My Boot sequence in my BIOS settings are : A,C,SCSI

My question is how to change it ?

Thanks for any help

AntonABC
Hi AntoABC,

If you know what your boot sequence is, I assume you know what BIOS you have and how to get into it at cold start bootup. As for changing it, if you do not know how:
1) at cold start bootup, look at the bottom of the screen for a key to tap to get into the BIOS - could be DEL or F2 depending on what BIOS you have, or some other sequence. You should tap the key as soon as you see it at the bottom of the screen - perhaps several times for it to be recognized during POST.

Device A is for a floppy drive - presumeably, you have a working one. The system will scan for a floppy diskette first before any other boot up device, and if one is present, it will try to boot from it. This is where may errors occur when the disktette if not bootable.

Device C is for your disk drive. The system will try to boot up from the hard drive after the floppy drive if no floppy diskette is present.

The SCSI drive is usually for the CD-ROM/DVD drive which is what you want. You need to reverse the order of C and SCSI to load up the OS, and you should probably leave the order alone so that in the future if you have an error condition that warrants using the CD, you have the proper ordering. Note: when the CD is not in the drive, the system should normally bootup when there is no floppy or CD in either drive - i.e. from the hard disk.

-- Tom

AntonABC

What I find weird is that I can highlight my Boot Sequence which is A,C,SCSI but
when I hit ENTER,nothing happens.
By pressing the HelpKey I obtain a list of all the Boot Sequence Options but
again I cannot change them.Why ?

AntonABC

lotuseclat79 said:
Hi AntoABC,

If you know what your boot sequence is, I assume you know what BIOS you have and how to get into it at cold start bootup. As for changing it, if you do not know how:
1) at cold start bootup, look at the bottom of the screen for a key to tap to get into the BIOS - could be DEL or F2 depending on what BIOS you have, or some other sequence. You should tap the key as soon as you see it at the bottom of the screen - perhaps several times for it to be recognized during POST.

Device A is for a floppy drive - presumeably, you have a working one. The system will scan for a floppy diskette first before any other boot up device, and if one is present, it will try to boot from it. This is where may errors occur when the disktette if not bootable.

Device C is for your disk drive. The system will try to boot up from the hard drive after the floppy drive if no floppy diskette is present.

The SCSI drive is usually for the CD-ROM/DVD drive which is what you want. You need to reverse the order of C and SCSI to load up the OS, and you should probably leave the order alone so that in the future if you have an error condition that warrants using the CD, you have the proper ordering. Note: when the CD is not in the drive, the system should normally bootup when there is no floppy or CD in either drive - i.e. from the hard disk.

-- Tom

I'm sure you're just not quite getting the right key combination. With the item highlighted can you use either the u or d keys, pageup or pagedown keys, or up and down arrows to change the sequence? Who is your bios manufacturer?

AntonABC

Thanks,you were right.I can change the settings with the PgUp key.Problem solved.

AntonABC

norton850 said:
I'm sure you're just not quite getting the right key combination. With the item highlighted can you use either the u or d keys, pageup or pagedown keys, or up and down arrows to change the sequence? Who is your bios manufacturer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online