1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change boot order after install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by THISISME, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THISISME

THISISME Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 with Windows XP Home and last week I installed a plug and play bootable Sony DVD CD-RW drive.

Since that time it won’t boot the way it used to.

Here is the situation report.

I turn it on.

I get a “Press [F2] for the boot device selection menu.”

I press F2 and 90 seconds or more later the selection menu appears.

I select “Boot from internal HD” and the systems boots up.

If possible I want my computer to boot automatically to the built in hard drive. I like the option of booting to the other devices. I would like to keep the option open to press F2 at start up. However if I don’t press F2 I would like it to boot to the hard drive without my intervention in a short amount of time.

I know there must be a simple way to do this but I don’t know how to do this. Someone please help, I can’t afford to pay someone $ 50.00 to do this for me right now.

2. Sponsor

3. WarC

WarC

Access the computer bios. Check your manual for the correct button, as it varies depending on system. in the bios there are all sorts of menus, including one for boot order or boot priority.

EDIT: If you don't have a manual, randomly press these buttons during startup until one works and you get into bios :D :D

try TAB, DEL, F1, and F3 through F12

One of those is bound to work.

4. THISISME

THISISME Thread Starter

I don’t have a manual and I don’t know what button to push at start up to reach the system bios. If I did I might be able to figure the rest out all on my lonesome.

Someone out there has the answer and wants to tell it to me. I just know it!

5. THISISME

THISISME Thread Starter

Ok WarC, If all else fails I will give your approach a try.

6. THISISME

THISISME Thread Starter

WarC This is taking roughly 6min for each attempt.

I did learn that it does eventually boot to the built in HD if left on its own in 5min.

I want at that bios. I want to cut that time down to 10seconds.

7. willya29

willya29

Go to the internet and access the Toshiba company page. They should have a place to get the manual for your computer. If not, their faq page or troubleshooting guide should tell you how to access your Bios. Most bios are accessed by pressing delete before windows starts to load.

8. Whitestar

Whitestar

Yeah, u have to start pressing the button almost directly after you turn the computer on.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your laptop uses an MS-DOS application called TSETUP.EXE to access the BIOS configuration. You can probably download it from the Toshiba support website.

10. dobhar

dobhar

Hi THISISME...

The following web page will help you with your key combination...also you should be able to see what make of BIOS your Laptop is using as soon as you as you turn on your Laptop...it should Display Award, AMI, Phoenix, etc...

http://www.inventio.co.uk/gettingintothebios.htm

Edit:
    According to the page above...Toshiba Laptop's either use the "Toshiba Utility" mentioned by Johnwill or using "ESC" or "F1" key stroke.

11. aolsux

aolsux Banned

12. THISISME

THISISME Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I was able to get into the Bios and the installed hard drive was the default. Unfortunately there isn’t a time setting for the boot/default so I can’t speed it up.
    It takes forever (more than 2min) for the default to kick in and boot to the HD since I installed the bootable DVD/CD-RW drive.

I guess this is just the price I have to pay if I want to keep the new bootable drive.

In closing I just want to say thank you again to everyone for trying to help. I learned how to get into my Bios and there are times when that can come in handy.

Dobhar and aolsux, Thank you for the great links; I have bookmarked most of them.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225321