1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Change Boot Order of Services

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rynglobal, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rynglobal

rynglobal Thread Starter

Hi, My computer seems to be having this frustrating personality flaw where it looks like it loads every other program and service before it enables the network connection. The result of this is that all the programs I have set to auto-run (many rely on a web connection) sit there and say "there is a problem with your network" until the little 'Network Connection' icon pops up in the Notification Area of the Taskbar. Once this pops up, everything zips along with a shiny new connection.

The problem is that it takes a good 30 seconds for this icon to appear and for services to resume as expected. Is there a way to tell Windows to start the network connection first, before any on the other programs start loading? This wasn't a problem on my last Windows XP machine, so I'm hoping its something I can adjust.

2. Sponsor

3. kniht

kniht

You may be able to use WinPatrol's delayed start. Leave 'network connections' in the normal startup and place everything else in the delayed startup. Just a thought.

http://www.winpatrol.com/ (free version will delay start)

4. rynglobal

rynglobal Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried moving every start up program to a delayed start. With everything that requires a network connection to the maximum of a 50 second delay. Despite this, the Network Connection icon still does not appear until after this delay and the other programs have started up. It is a much shorter delay now, but I think it still takes the same amount of time from when Windows initially loads. Is there any reason the network connection would be taking so long to become active? The LAN is the only connection I have enabled in my Network Adapters so its not like it's competing with other connections.

5. helpful

helpful

6. rynglobal

rynglobal Thread Starter

OK, this weird. I found that Google Talk works straight away once it is loaded. I can chat with friends before the Network Connection Icon turns up. While I'm chatting, nothing else is connecting though (IE, Tweet Deck, Opera, Firefox, Outlook, GOogle Desktop widgets). Does this help at all?

7. rynglobal

rynglobal Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, but the 'Local Area Connection' is the only adapter in my Network Connections window, so theres nothing for it to compete with. Do you know what method Google Talk uses to communicate? It definately works as soon as the program loads and doesn't have to wait for the Network Connection Icon to appear in the Notification Area.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938312