1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change file types

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by catbounds, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

At first, this didn't look too serious, but after researching the net, I'm no closer to fixing it. I use PhotoShop and Corel Painter everyday of my life, and they're nice, well-behaved programs. I have thousands of image files. Last week, on a whim, I took out an old software program I had never used but saw mentioned in a forum, Corel Photo-Paint 8.0 and installed it, played with it a little, didn't like it and uninstalled, carefully. Now, however, all my files types are Corel Photo-Paint 8.0. How do I change them back?

When I go into Control Panel/Folder Options/ File Types, and then to Corel Photo-Paint 8.0, Advanced, Edit, Browse, I can't get PhotoShop to open as "Application used to perform action". I'm not even sure that's where I need to be. This thing is very confusing.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try this: . . right click on one of the image files . . select Open With . . then Additional Programs . . and browse to and select PhotoShop . . put a check in the "Always use this" box and see how it works.

3. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

That's not what I'm wanting to do, Rich. They're opening ok, and I've got Windows Picture Viewer set as the default viewer. Photo-Paint doesn't even show up as a choice for opening them.
    What I want to do is to change all the file extensions back to what they were before I messed 'em up by installing Photo-Paint. I've attached a screen shot of how they look when I open up a folder.

Attached Files:

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

What are the file extensions now? . . you may have to change the folder options to not hide known extensions

5. bernardus

bernardus

Can't you deselect the option of the associations in your photoshopprogram?
    Very often a new program takes over the total control of your associations.
    I don't allow that anymore. In the preferencies it is possible to deselect them.

bernardus

6. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

No, Bernardus, that's the first place I looked, but under File Handling it only gives
    File Saving Options
    Image Previews: Always Save
    File Extension: Use Lower Case
    File Compatibility
    Ignore EXIF profile tag
    Ask Before Saving Layered TIFF Files
    Enable Large Document Format
    Maximize PSD File Compatibility: Always
    Enable Version Cue Workgroup File Management

In Plugins and Scratch Disks, you can enable additional folders.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

Rich, I misspoke in saying I wanted to change the file extensions. As I said in my first post, it's the file types that have changed. You can see what I mean in the attached screen capture.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

That screen just shows the program last associated with the file extension . . before offereing any more advice, I'd like to know the exact extension

10. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

But the extensions aren't the issue. They're all JPEG, TIFF, RIFF, PNG, GIF, etc. It's just that suddenly every one of the thousands of files are showing exactly as shown in the screen capture. I never opened any of these with Photo-Paint.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

What happens when you right click on one . . select " Open with " then " Choose Program" and select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" . . then put a tick in the "Always use this program" . . that should replace what the other program did

12. bbearren

bbearren

Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types and click the Advanced button.

Click on "Change Icon". Browse to find the icon previously used, and select it. The wording displayed when you pause the mouse over a file is associated with the File Type Icon.

You may have to do some navigating to find what you want. The default types for images are in Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Rich isn't trying to help you open them, that is the way you change the file association. You can always go back to making Windows viewer as default picture viewer.

14. catbounds

catbounds Thread Starter

Rich, that was one of the first things I did; sorry, I didn't include that in my first post. It shows under File Types:
    Details for JPEG extension, Opens with: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

BBearren, this is as far as I've gotten on my own, to this File Types window. There are 2 types of jpeg file extensions
    JPEG Image
    JPG Corel Photo-Paint 8.0 Image

Before I goofed it up, they all were JPEG images and had the "PhotoShop sailboat in the sunset" icon.
    I did as you said and changed the JPG icon to the PhotoShop icon, but they still say CorelPhoto-Paint 8.0 Image.
    What is the difference in a JPEG and JPG file? I also went into Advanced and changed the open with to PhotoShop, but the files in their folders still say Photo-Paint.

15. mike5532g

mike5532g

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!