1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How to change login from a hotmail account to a local login?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by larryh10000, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Sorry for the length of this post but I think it needs explaining.

I bought this laptop for a gift to my grandson about three years ago. Against my wishes, he has used it primarily to play high usage PC games. About 6 months ago it was hardly working anymore, viruses, malware, you name it.

I did a complete factory restore but he set it up to open with his hotmail user account on the "Lock Screen" in Windows 8.1, but he did give me his how hotmail email address and password so I can login. Well, within about two months later he had all the same issues back again and so he just quit using the laptop completely.

He gave it back to me and I cleaned everything up again (without doing a factory recovery) and also upgraded it from the original Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

Everything is working perfectly, it's very fast now and I love it.

Only issue I can see is if he (my grandson) deletes or changes his hotmail account I won't be able to login and also his emails are available for me to read (but I don't) and I don't use his email account. I use a webmail account of my own.

As I mentioned earlier, this laptop is running and set up perfectly for me with this one exception.

Without doing a complete factory recover, how can I chnage this laptop from requiring his (my grandsons) hotmail address and password to no login being required at all (as I am the only user now) or to run with a local account (as I believe it is referred to)?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    goto to control panel
    Users
    and setup a New Admin User for yourself
    and then you can log into with that account

You could then always delete the old user if you wanted to

3. larryh10000

Okay, I have set up a New Admin User account for myself and that all went well. Now, I still have my grandsons Admin User acct (which is tied to his Microsoft Hotmail account.)

He won't be using this computer anymore which he is ok with, only I will be using it. Is it safe/okay to Delete his Admin account? If so, should I first change it to a Standard or Guest account first before I delete it or doesn't it matter?

Deleting his Admin account should in no way have any affect on his Microsoft Hotmail account will it? Because he still gets his email at that Hotmail account via his smartphone.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be OK deleting the account
    Or just leave it - so if you ever have an issue logging on to your PC with your account - you have a fall back position

5. larryh10000

Thanks very much for your help!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1159975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice