how to change main computer name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gaftop1

how do you change the name of the computer (not the user account names) the main one when you're installing windows.
thanx

Start Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
From there you can edit the name in the Registered Owner key

jdl

If you are reluctant to enter the registry...as I was a while ago, go to http://www.dougknox.com/ click on WinXP Fixes, then "Change Registered Owner and Organization" and follow the directions from there. I've used this program and it works flawlessly. If you are not using XP there are similar solutions for other windows versions at this site.

PC Mag also has a program called New Owner. It will not only let you change the registered user name but the company as well. Try searching their site for the link. Otherwise I can zip it and put it on my website for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online