1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Change Node Type to Broadcast?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deas, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deas

deas Thread Starter

In IPconfig for my Win2k machine/ethernet adapter I see that Node Type is Peer to Peer.
    Having read all about how netbios works on the MS website I think that this should be set to 'Broadcast' to enable my PCs to see each others netbios names.
    The network USED to work OK (and I can make netbios work by using the LMHOSTs file) so presumably something changed the Node Type. Probably a new version of some VPN software I installed recently (?) or possibly Spyware/Adware related as I have been plagued by this recently.
    Can anyone advise on how to change the Node Type back to Broadcast?

2. blin

blin

quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to modify Node Type

1. For W2K/XP, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters to make change:
    Name: DhcpNodeType
    Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
    Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (b-node, p-node, m-node, h-node)
    Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration

If this key is present, it will override the DhcpNodeType key. If neither key is present, the system defaults to b-node if there are no WINS servers configured for the client. The system defaults to h-node if there is at least one WINS server configured.

2. Windows 95, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
    Name: NodeType
    Value type: DWORD
    Valid range: 1, 2, 4, or 8
    Default: 1 (b-node) if no value is specified or no WINS servers are configured on the network; 8 (h-node) if WINS servers are specified and NodeType is not otherwise defined in the Registry.
    If DNS is enabled (which also enabled LMHOSTS in Windows 95), name resolution will also follow the mode defined by this parameter. This value can also be configured using DHCP.

3. deas

deas Thread Starter

Thanks blin.

One minor point: I don't quite understand the comment "If this key is present, it will override the DhcpNodeType key".

Which key is 'this key'?
    DhcpNodeType seems to be a value of the Parameters Key, is there another DhcpNodeType key or am I misunderstanding something?
    Deas

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/161619