1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change path for IExplorer favorites file location?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by petery, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petery

petery Thread Starter

Hi

I am a new XP user. When I set up my new p.c. I wanted all the accounts to use the same favourites file for Internet Explorer. Somewhere I found a place to change the path that Explorer used for the favourites file - I changed this to point to a common folder (one not specific to a particular account), and moved my old favourites file into that folder.

That worked fine, but now I want to reverse the procedure and I cannot remember where I changed the path that Explorer uses to look for the favourites file. Help!!

I've searched the web and found two options - one involves editing the registry, and one involves a power tool. However I did this through some other process that was much simpler - as I recall all I did was create a new folder and enter a new path name into a settings dialogue box somewhere.

Does anyone know where this feature is hidden in XP?

Many thanks

Peter

2. DVOM

DVOM

3. petery

petery Thread Starter

Thanks DVOM - I'll give that a try (it's not the way I set this up, but who cares as long as it works - I wish I could remember what I did).

I tried to install TweakUI and got an error message - do you just download the file from the microsoft site (eg. onto the desktop) and then double click it? I couldn't see installation instructions on the microsoft site so gave up.

Thanks again for the help

Peter

4. DVOM

DVOM

5. petery

petery Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP with all the updates, service packs etc. Would you suggest using the version off:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

I presume this is a self-extracting zip file? When I tried to run it I got an error message - I can't remember what it said now, but I recall it had something about not being compatible with ???32 - I remember the last bit because it made me wonder if my Dell came installed with Fat32 rather than the NT system.....

6. petery

petery Thread Starter

...actually, now that I look at the MS site, I wonder if I accidentally downloaded the version for Itanium based systems??

7. DVOM

DVOM

Try downloading it again. It might have gotten corrupted or incomplete.

8. petery

petery Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help - I'll have another go when I get home tonight.

9. petery

petery Thread Starter

BTW - is it obvious how to change the path for the favourites folder using TweakUI?

10. DVOM

DVOM

Open it from the start menu and go to "my computer>special folders".

11. petery

petery Thread Starter

thanks (again)

12. petery

petery Thread Starter

DVOM - I had a go at trying to change the properties of the default favourites folder, but I'm not sure what you had in mind. I can't edit the location from here - what I really want is to copy this folder to all the user directories, and then explorer to point to those user-specific favorite folders (rather to the one common folder).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice