1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change power option properties through a script or regedit

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WrongTurn, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrongTurn

WrongTurn Thread Starter

What I am trying to do is find or create a script or batch file that changes the "When I press the power button on my computer" option - to always be set to Shut down - this is under the Power Options Properties Advanced tab.

What we are looking to do is push out this to several laptops to ensure when the power button is pushed it shuts down and does not go into standby.

My question is does anyone know of a script or registry edit that I can do to accomplish this as the company is running Server 2003 which does not offer a group policy setting or template and powercfg does not have this option.

I've read that I can use a program like regshot to look for the changes in the registry but it appears that the system when changing between "standby" and "shutdown" changes some binary and hexidecimal settings all of which I would like to try to avoid editing if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice