1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change shortcut icon for folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FredVN, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

I've created a shortcut to a folder that contains data files used by a particular program. I would like to change the shortcut icon for that folder to the icon used by the program. Program icons do not appear in the shortcut|properties|change icon list. Is there a way to make the icon replacement?

2. Erronius

Erronius

Make a shortcut for that program you're using, right-click on it, select "Properties", enter the full path to the folder you want in the "Target" field, click "Apply" and then "OK".

Erronius

3. 1101doc

1101doc

First you will need to locate an .ico file for the image of the program you want to reference. That is it hard part. I would look in the applications folder under "Program Files" where it is installed. Maybe online at the site. It must be an .ico file that you use. Some photo apps have conversion abilities. Google for that.

Once you have located the correct .ico file on your computer, right click the folder and choose "Properties." In the dialog box select the "Customize" tab and at the bottom click "Change Icon." Windows will offer its built-in icons, but by using the "Browse" you can navigate to your .ico file and select that. <OK> <Apply> <OK> and it's done.

Fun tip: Make an "Invisible" folder. The bottom row of icons that Windows offers has a padlock just a short scroll in. To the right is a blank space. If you select that, your folder will become invisible. There is supposed to be a trick to get rid of the name as well, but that has never worked for me. I just us a + or ~ or some other allowed symbol. Hardly shows up on my wallpaper.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Most programs store the icons in the .exe file for the program. To change the folder icon to the program icon, right click the folder, Properties>Customize>Change Icon>Browse. Find the Program folder ( C:\Program Files\your program) and type the name of the .exe in the file name line. Example: Paint Shop Pro is psp.exe. Click Open and the program icons should be available for selection. Hope that helps.
    T.

5. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

OK, thanks very much. Using the .exe file worked. Before that, I couldn't find the icon, but also couldn't believe is wasn't store somewhere on the local machine. Hiding it in the .exe file is a neat trick (maybe to keep others from using it!??)

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're welcome. The main reason for the icons being in the .exe file is to keep them associated with the program. If they were stored elsewhere, you might have the program but the icons could be lost or deleted.
    T.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice