how to change the boot up shut down messages/pictures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

g.ramesh

Please confirm how to change the boot up and shut down messages/pictures. I learnt that if I modify logos.sys with MS Paint the shut down message will also change, is it true?.

How to change the boot up picture now it displays Microsoft windows logo.

My pc specs are Intel M/B 815EEA/Win me/128MB SDRAM with onboard video/sound.

To change the Startup and Logoff screens
Startup Screen
Create a 320x400 bitmap in the root directory and name it LOGO.SYS
You can use LOGOW.SYS file in the Windows directory as a starter

Logoff Screens
There are several files called LOGOX.SYS
They are actually bitmaps 320x400 that just have a different extension
The hidden one in the root directory LOGO.SYS is the startup logo.
There are two files in the Windows directory.
LOGOW.SYS is the Wait while Shutting down ... screen
LOGOS.SYS is the You may now shut-off or Reboot screen
To edit them, rename them with a BMP extension and use your favorite graphic editor
You can edit these files or create you own
They just need to be the same size

One point:

If you create an image at 320x400, it will be distorted when Windows displays it with a 4/3 aspect ratio. The best solution is to create an image with the correct aspect ratio (perhaps 640x480 or 800x600) and then resize it to 320x400...

g.ramesh

only logos.sys was available in c:\windows directory, logo,logow,logox are not found. how to proceed?

You need to create bitmap files and save them as the names mentioned in a previous post.

Also the other suggestion about making them originally as 640x480 and then resizing them is correct. Otherwise it looks all distorted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online