1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change the default IP 127.0.0.1

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bidwan, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bidwan

bidwan Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have a standalone Home PC, which is not connected to any network including the internet. It doesnot even have the network adapters installed.
    Now I want to change the default Ip(127.0.0.1) assigned to it.
    I have changed the hosts file and rebooted but without any success.
    I am in a desparate situation. please help!

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

27.0.0.1 is the standard IP address used for a loopback network connection.

you can't change it. default setting means just that.

you don't have any networking on the pc so why try to change it..

3. techkid

techkid

The loopback address 127.0.0.1 is practically hard-wired into all NICs. The only way to "get rid of it" is to disable TCP/IP on your system.

PS. The HOSTS file is not used for IP address settings. This is used as a (very) basic form of DNS, which allows someone (whether intentionally or not) to direct sites to other IP addresses. This is used both by certain spyware scanners that restrict known spyware sites from being accessed by redirecting them to the loopback address, and by some forms of spyware that try to stop you from downloading spyware scanners and redirecting you to "false" sites to get personal or financial details.

4. bidwan

bidwan Thread Starter

Hello,
    Thanks for the responses.. i am running an application which creates problems if my IP is 127.0.0.1.
    So I need to change it at ANY cost.
    Can you please tell me how to disable TCP/IP ..and incase i disable it what will be my new IP or there will be no IP at all?

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

if your machine has on board nic go into device manager and disable the setting..this may help.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You are positive you do not have any Network Cards installed in your computer. None in a PCI slot and none on the motherboard?
    Did you accidentally somehow install the Loopback adapter.

7. bidwan

bidwan Thread Starter

Hello All,

I am sure I don't have any N/w cards...How can i check if I somehow installed the Loopback adapter. Where to check? If yes, how to disable it?

I tried by uninstalling TCP/IP. But then my application stops working. the application works with TCP/Ip but the host should have a valid IP address not 127.0.0.1...Wat are options available with me?

Thanks..

8. avisitor

avisitor

Install a Network Card and connect it to a router. You can then have a valid IP.

(Or use the loopback adapter which is harder to configure though.)

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Or, go into TCP/IP properties, and assign yourself an IP.

Out of curiousity, what is the application that won't run unless there is a (more) "valid" IP.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730948