1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change the search options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by defyfate, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. defyfate

defyfate Thread Starter

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 on windows xp. somehow, when I typed a search preference in the address bar, it always went to something called quick. which I hated, after a few days, I figured out how to delete it. now when I type something in the address bar, it goes through yahoo. and that sucks! because half the time it will never bring up the links, it has some kind of error, and you can only view the first page, if you go to the next page of searches it never brings it up.

what I have noticed is, when you click on on the link, for example instead of going to www.computerhope.com it will goto to this

"http://srd.yahoo.com/S=2766679:WS1/R=2/K=computer+help/SS=17086427/OCS=14999621/H=0/T=1043175039/F=12d6078438772cb0a9bf6d587f3eec05/*http://www.computerhope.com/"

it has all that crap in between, and half the time it doesn't work. and like I said, you can never goto the next page of searches. so does anyone know how to change the default search? It's much easier just to type in the address bar, if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

:D

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Use the best search engine "Google" it gets the job done, put a shortcut on your desktop. http://www.google.com/

3. Miz

Miz

You can also download and install the Google bar, which I've used for over a year without any problems.

If you'd rather not install the Google bar, then in Internet Explorer, go to View>Explorer Bar and enable the "Search" option.

Once you have the search pane on the left side of the screen, you can set it to use your preferred search engine by clicking on "Change Preferences," then "Change Internet search behavior," then clicking once on your preferred search engine in the list, then click on OK. After that, any search you perform from the search bar will be done through that search engine.

To change searches using the address bar to another search engine:

Open the Search Companion
    Change to Classic Internet Search
    Close and reopen the browser
    Open the Search Companion/Search Pane again
    Select the Customize option
    On the new window that appears, select Autosearch settings
    On the new window that appears, select the search provider you want and how you want IE to act when you search in the address bar
    Back on the main Customize Search Settings window, if you want to go back to the Search Companion functionality, choose the "Use Search Companion" option. Otherwise, you'll stay with Classic Internet Search/The Search Pane

4. defyfate

defyfate Thread Starter

thanks a lot, both of you helped me out. I changed my search preference to Google.

once again thanks for all your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!