How to Change "User Name"?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Firedog 1

Hi,

Would like to see if I can change the User Name. However, this is not the name one can change and where it is seen on the log-on or in the start menu.

I think this is specific...name used when installing XP.

Thanks!

The Gillette Family (Ron)

Are you talking changing it or adding one?

If you want to change it the best place to do that is in safe mode while working under the admin account but you lose all your preferences.

To add one, is really very simple. You go to the Start>Control Panel> User Accounts> Create a New Account. But it won't have full Admin Access doing it that way. Liz

Firedog 1

"...but you lose all your preferences." What "preferences" are you concerned about? Does doing a change effect the MSN Explorer, the Instant Messengers or that .NET account thing?

"in safe mode while working under the admin account..." Can you furnish me with some steps on how to do this, and, is there any "risk" involved here?

Thanks tramsey1954

Preferences that you have set up as in how your desktop looks. You get to save your My Documents folder but that's about it.

There isn't any risk, unless you aren't comfortable with what you are doing. If you can follow directions OFF LINE then you will be ok. Your best bet would be to print out the instructiosn to do this.Liz

Firedog 1

Um, well, perhaps I should leave well enough alone. We have WinCustomize and Stardock on-board and everything is looking great. I would hate to have all our hard work go flying away so to speak.

Thanks for your valued time in responding to our small wanting change...no big deal though!

Again, thank you for being here on-line and responding promptly. We noted that Tech Support Guy's members know 99.9% more than the Latin America Dell Tech Support. The .1% is for them knowing how to answer the phone after 15 minutes.

No problem, I understand wanted the right name and if you ever have to reformat, that is something you can change then. However, if you do want to ADD a user, you can do the method I suggested under that one. :)

How long have you had your computer and do you have a system recovery disk?

Also do you have a firewall and A/V installed and what web browser are you using? You might want to add some other security to your computer as well. It will keep you out of the security forum if you do.

Go here and add these if you don't already have them:
Start with AdAware SE:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Then Spybot:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Then SpywearBlaster:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

Once you have them all downloaded, install them and update them. Spybot will tell you that you have AdAware and it will conflict. Ignore that and go
ahead anyway. Also, here are the instructions to get rid of the DSO Exploit which is a *bug* in the software of the Spybot package.

"If all your critical updates are installed you are protected against DSO Exploit and the finding inSpybot is just a nuisance. Eliminate this by doing the
following:

1 Open Spybot and select 'advanced' mode.
2 Select 'settings' in the left column.
3 Select 'ignore product' in the left column.
4 Select 'security' tab.
5 Place check mark in box beside DSO Exploit.
6 Close program
7 Open Spybot and run a scan.

You will find that DSO Exploit has been eliminated and if your computer does not harbor any other spyware you will see a congratulatory message."
Many of us here use other web browsers besides IE, I use Firefox www.mozilla.org but you can find many others are good such as Mozilla, Opera, Avant, Netscape, SlimBrowser, MiniBrowser, and I could go on, but you can see an entire list at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads5.html

Firedog 1

No, we do not have a security disk. We are thinking of going with an external harddrive...around $300.00 it appears this will cost. We had our computer since January 2003.

We are set-up with Norton SystemWorks 2004, Norton Internet Security 2004, ZoneAlarm Pro, SpyBot (very good), Webroot SpySweeper, Spyware Blaster (excellent), and CyberScrub. We take security here at the house most serious. Hopefully SP2 when it comes out does not conflict with this.

We run MSN Explorer, IE, and SlimBrowser.

Thank you for your references...those we do not have will be viewed and reviewed.

We are set-up with Norton SystemWorks 2004, Norton Internet Security 2004, ZoneAlarm Pro,
Be careful of running too many A/V's at the same time, They don't like it. Other than that, If you stay with IE, you may also want to check out a small program called Bugoff. It's listed on www.majorgeeks.com along with many other of the ones I gave you. It plugs three security holes that are in IE. Liz

Firedog 1

We now have>AdAware SE

Note: ZoneAlarm Pro does not have A/V. I believe only Norton is our source of A/V protection.

Took care of the Spybot situation.

We will explore Bugoff.

Thank you and, enjoy that Michigan snow! We grew-up in Saint Clare Shores and now live in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Sometimes, we wish for some snow it gets so hot and humid.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online