1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change voot partition in a Mutiboot XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elx, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elx

elx Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I have a PC with 2 disk SATA, with 4 partition.
    Any disk has a partition with an XP instance and another partition for data.
    Recently I re-installed one of XP instances, unfortunately the one hosting boot.ini and so on.
    At the end of the installation, Windows I found this situation:

Window sets as boor partition one of the data partition
    I have boot.ini, ntloader,... on this partition
    The re-installed XP instance has system files

I would like to move boot partition to one of the partitions hosting XP instances, needing to clean data partition sonmetime.
    How to do this?
    Thanks,
    Elx

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Not sure I understand you completely. To boot XPs:

1. Ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com must be in the root of the drive you want to boot off of.
    2. That drive must be active drive. Giving it highest priority in BIOS (hard disk boot priority setting) should do it.
    3. For multiple XPs, boot.ini must be given the info on where the XPs are. Edit boot.ini to set a default boot and list the XP installations, if neccessary.

I'm sure you can find the syntax for boot.ini and how to change the BIOS setting, if necessary, by doing a little googling. I'd be happy to try and help you if you need more help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice