1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to change webhosts

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by izarek87, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izarek87

izarek87 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'd like to change my webhost from FatCow to Bluehost.
    I have two domains, with the possibility of more and I'd like to have them under one account hence the move.

However my sites have been created using Weebly on Fatcow. Bluehost does not seem to have Weebly, so how can I transfer these sites so they look the same?
    Many thanks

2. TXjim

TXjim

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi IZ,
    We need more information in order to best assist you in your ISP/DNS migration. If you would please provide your domains (i.e. fatcow.com, bluehost.com) we can provide you with the best steps to moving your domains. With your domains, we can query DNS determining where your domains currently reside and provide you with exact details with instructions from your DNS providers on managing the moves.
    Cheers, TXjim

3. TXjim

TXjim

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi,

I assume at this point that IZ may have moved on with help from another source.

In the event, anyone else has a similar question let me describe the process for moving domains from one Domain Provider to another without affecting your working site and services e.g. email. We call this a Stealth DNS Migration. The first thing you need to do is review your DNS entries for your domain you will be moving. A DNS Lookup tool or by logging into your owning Domain Host and using their DNS tool to determine DNS Settings. Copy the DNS settings as you will want to make an identical copy of those settings at your destination Host (e.g. Bluehost).

If you have email or a website coupled with domain hosting, I cannot express enough how important it is that you setup DNS at the new location before you start the domain move. It will avoid a time gap between DNS migration between hosts (e.g. from FatCow to Bluehost). In order to shorten the migration time you should lower the TTLs for your domain records to the lowest allowed by your host providers both at the current and new host DNS settings during this migration period. This very important step tells the many DNS Tiers across the internet to return and acquire updates of your domain records. Once you release ownership from old to new host many domain providers immediately delete your records. Your wait can be substantial if you have mistakenly missed vital record entries so verify your records repeatedly between current (FatCow) and future (Bluehost) records.

Review the FAQ and/or HowTo of your destination or new Host (e.g. Bluehost) and contact them to help you devise your plan. I have witnessed many failures in this process over my 20 years in the hosting industry.

You can do this! Go forward and conquer.
    Cheers, TXjim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice