How to change Windows XP Product key and Product ID.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I will not question whether this is legal or illegal. This comes from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328874

For non-corporate users there is this from my own experience: I have on occasion run into three or four customers who attempted what is known as casual piracy by installing his XP onto a second machine. I have had to get only one customer out of this mess (about two years ago or longer) but the workaround was easy. (By the time his grace period was up, he had installed many programs and didn't want to be forced to do it again.) We called Microsoft, gave them a credit card number and they worked us through some steps that fixed the problem.

We then rebooted and was asked for a valid key.

I do not remember the steps as it was quite some time back and I saw no reason to keep notes on it.

Microsoft asked no questions about why he attempted piracy. I think they are just happy to get the money.

If Microsoft published it it should be okay, but don't post others please.

Alex Ethridge

Just on cursory inspection, it looks like your link "borrowed" the page from Microsoft. But, I won't read the whole thing just to see. If it works and you need it, use it.

It is apparent here there are some reasons to change a product key that Microsoft considers worth addressing, and there are some here who might need to know that.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by Alex Ethridge:

It is apparent here there are some reasons to change a product key that Microsoft considers worth addressing, and there are some here who don't know that.
I'm going to "assume" this isn't a continuing tirade from the thread which I closed earlier. If someone is duped into installing a pirated OS as CLEARLY is mentioned in the link you provided or what you refer to as 'casual piracy' (anything like 'casual murder' :D ), that is one separate issue, far apart from the situation we were addressing in the other thread where the user clearly searched the internet for a fraudulent cd key, then wanted us to help bail him out of his problems. What are our chances of knowing the next cd key he was going to attempt was legit? Also, knowing full well that he used a fraudulent key, he should darn well expect to have to start from scratch! You do the crime, you waste the time :D

Alex Ethridge

Your post is clearly out of character with this discussion and inappropriate and I do not appreciate this violent intrusion.

I would report it to the mods but you are the mod and out of order so consider yourself reported to yourself.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, the only key that Microsoft recognizes as "changable" is the Volume License Key, aka the Corporate License version. The official Microsoft stand is there is never a reason for a retail user to have a reason to change the key, so it's not supported.

Alex
Your thread here is clearly a continuation of the prior closed one. The original post used to create this thread did not imply the continuation until your subsequent post when you said:
It is apparent here there are some reasons to change a product key that Microsoft considers worth addressing, and there are some here who don't know that.
Whatever is bothering you understand we do not support piracy and will do little to help someone who deliberately did this. I suspect MS created the instructions so people can have a legit way to correct the problem and they (MS) get the money.
This solution as you know is a two edge sword and can be used to install pirated numbers as well. Since MS has decided to support and document that procedure for profit then I can only assume they believe it will cause little usage in the illegal direction.

So please whatever burr you currently have under your saddle please climb off the horse and remove it.

Dave

three or four customers who attempted what is known as casual piracy by installing his XP onto a second machine
I have done it myself,,after I removed it from the first machine..

Legal GOOD

Illegal BAD

see the difference?

Alex Ethridge

The first time I saw the term, "Casual Piracy", it was in a news article sometime around 1995 where the article was quoting Bill Gates. He used it to refer to users who buy a legal copy of Windows (or any other software) and then violate the EULA by installing it on more than one machine. In that communication, he also mentioned that many of those who do so (not all), do it from ignorance.

It is a legitimate term now used my many in the software industry.

The term was coined to differentiate between those who simply install the same software on two or more machines in a household and those who make hundreds or even thousands of copies and sell them.

Alex Ethridge

johnwill,

I will not argue what the official Microsoft stand is. I haven't read anything from them on the subject and they haven't consulted with me lately when making those policies. I will, however, stand by my account of what happened a few years ago when we got help from Microsoft in legitimizing an illegitimate installation of Windows XP.

I think they aren't as interested in punishing dumb stuff as they are in getting the money.

Alex you cannot take words and twist them or pick them ,,,you cannot decide well here is a grey area,,,the prisons are full of ppl who think that.. and why would you have a business that didn t make money??

The EULA is a legal binding document that can be agreed to or refused. Once you agree you are to be responsible for your part of the agreement. Ignorence is no excuse in any court. You are not showing the actions of a responsible person.. you will in the end if allowed to continue confuse in-experienced users,,and you cannot tell me you do not know better. Is this how you want to help? Confusion and gray areas?? I would call good Ole Bill if I were you and ask him how gray it is if I was as intent on pointing out how you see it instead of posting non truths.. Im not a mod,,report me.

Alex Ethridge

bandit,

I don't know to which of my words in this thread you are referring.

I furnished a link to a Microsoft web page. I gave an account to the best of my memory of an tech support event. I gave an account to the best of my memory of a news story from several years back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online