How to change your device's unique identifiers

Anna1526

Laptop, android, etc. and if I change it, will I have problems accessing the internet?

In most systems, the MAC address is considered a unique identified, or part of it. Depends on what you are talking about. For example, in Windows, in order to Authenticate your Windows, it uses a 'unique identifier' which is made up of several things, including your MAC, your motherboard, your hard drive ID and or size, and several unknown things. If you are able to change this, then Windows will no longer consider your Windows as authenticated. And it may shutdown your PC every hour, like on unregistered trial versions of Windows Enterprise - I am not sure.

On Android cell phones, your unique identifier is the UMEI number, which you can see in Systems. Don't think you can change that, but then my knowledge of Androids is limited.

Anna1526

In most systems, the MAC address is considered a unique identified, or part of it. Depends on what you are talking about. For example, in Windows, in order to Authenticate your Windows, it uses a 'unique identifier' which is made up of several things, including your MAC, your motherboard, your hard drive ID and or size, and several unknown things. If you are able to change this, then Windows will no longer consider your Windows as authenticated. And it may shutdown your PC every hour, like on unregistered trial versions of Windows Enterprise - I am not sure.

On Android cell phones, your unique identifier is the UMEI number, which you can see in Systems. Don't think you can change that, but then my knowledge of Androids is limited.

Would formatting my laptop change the MAC address? If I change the mac address will my system's general UI change too?

Formatting or reinstalling an OS cannot change a MAC address. It is burned into the networking hardware. Some network adapters allow you to change the MAC, but only some. You do that in Control Panel > Device Manager.

Anna1526

Formatting or reinstalling an OS cannot change a MAC address. It is burned into the networking hardware. Some network adapters allow you to change the MAC, but only some. You do that in Control Panel > Device Manager.
Would it change the device's UI though?

What do you mean by UI? Windows desktop and all the icons and the start menu button?

There is no device unique identifier. A combination of separate things together make up this "DUI", at keast that is how Microsoft does it.

By the way, the term UI has already been taken, it stands for User Interface. ( The desktop, start mmu botton', behavior of single click etc. )

Back to your first question, will you have access to the internet. So lets say you change the motherboard. Yes you can still get to the internet, but MS will kill that activation status, And you will, at the very least, have a water mark on the bottom left saying Windows is not genuine.

Last edited:
There is nothing you can to stop someone tracking you based on "unique identifiers".

Your only option is to have multiple computers in place and be careful which one you use for which task.
Once your hardware is tracked your only option is to replace it completely, with no guarantee same problem won't happen again.

it's up to you and how careful you are.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you explain the actual problem you're having we might be able to help more.

Johnny b

John
I did a thread on 'fingerprinting' back in January.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fingerprint-test-and-firefox-72.1238345/#post-9666411

Basically, I found as long as I kept updating Firefox, I 'stood out' more and was probably easier to follow lol!

I used 'Privacy Badger' as a Firefox extension....but I don't think it worked very well.
https://privacybadger.org/

Statistically, I stood out more with Linux than Win 10, probably because it's not popular to start with.

I gave up worrying about it.

1. First of all go to your mobile settings.
  2. Scroll down and search for Backup & reset option.
  3. Open Backup & reset settings and click on Factory data reset option. ...
  4. It will format your Android phone and reset all settings as default
In this way you can changes your devices unique identifiers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online