How to change your LAN DHCP Lease Expiry time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bent arrow

Can someone please tell me how to change my LAN DHCP Lease Expiry time! Mines currently set at 1 hour and its driving me crazy!

etaf

Wayne
is this a home network - if so you should be able to go into the router settings and change the lease period

bent arrow

yea its a home network... but... whats the router exactly? I have a cable modem? lol

etaf

Wayne
its a function of the ISP then

what problems do you get ?

bent arrow

Well...this only started happening today, just after i installed Zone Alarm Pro...

The internet disconnects then reconnects every hour.

Did you ask your ISP?
you mentioned you have a LAN you should have a router or switch. Which one?
Are you directly connected to the internet and sharing the internet to others?

bent arrow

All i have is a 1 port Cable modem and Ethernet adapter..... And i just realised i dont have a LAN.. got a bit confused. Im directly connected to the net and not sharing with anyone.

bent arrow

Hmm.. i've managed to temporarily get the Lease to 1 day instead of 1 hour by "repairing" the
connection after i connect. But once i disconnect then reconnect it goes back to 1 hour and i have to "repair" again...

Maybe Zone Alarm hasnt left your computer completely try a windows registry Repair and call up ur ISP check if its a problem. if you believe its windows, there is one sure way to get back on track Reformat (I would do that, but not many people would...)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

bent arrow

The WINSOCK command worked but the TCP/IP command said: "The following command was not found: int ip reset.log"

EDIT: Made a typo in the TCP/IP command, it did work.

Since you are directly connecting to your cable modem, and getting your IP address assigned from that modem, what is the symptom you are experiencing. For example, is there some pop-up window showing a new IP address? Have you talked with the cable company to see that it isn't a problem with their modem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!