1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to chat on lan

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syssol, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syssol

syssol Thread Starter

My Network consists of about 15 workgroup terminals. The os used are win2000 and win98. is there a way i can chat on our Lan? If so how?

2. Rockn

Rockn

If they have internet access you can use ICQ or MSN chat. There is nothing native that will give you full chat capabilities. If you want something really robust you will have to buy something.

3. deuce

deuce

Damn... so there isn't a way to just use a generic windows chat that doesn't have to be running all the time? I personally have AIM, ICQ and MSN, so I could just make accounts with one of those for the other computers... but the main one is an antigue... so I would like as little running as possible.

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

What is "generic windows chat"? There are no chat programs that are a part of the Windows 98 or Windows 2000 operating systems.

5. Rockn

Rockn

There is Winpopup you could use, but it's not a full scale chat program. You could use the old winchat program from Win95a if you wanted. It was kind of fun to use it interoffice and bug people.

6. shorty_tech

shorty_tech

if you you know Visual Basic , there is a server\client example that you can use to create a simple chat program.the sample program is located on the msdn library disc.

7. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

I read something in a Lockergnome issue about using a feature in Microsofts Direct X 8.x to achive (I think) what you want to. I'll be darned if I can find that info again though. I usually save tips like that. I'll keep looking.

8. Toddles18

Toddles18

9. keshav

keshav

Hi,

I think you would have the software DirectX setup on your computer. If so type dxdiag in the Run under start menu. There in directx you have something called a network tab at the top. You can use this as well to chat using wither TCP/IP or IPX/SPX protocol. IF you want more details mail me at [email protected]

10. xdruggie

xdruggie

have you tried the net send command in the command prompt?
    put a shortcut for the command prompt on your desktop. Open it and on the command line type
    net send Computername "message"
    hit return. where computername is the terminal where you want to send the message. you dont have to use the quotes if you don't want to also, but you do need the spaces between net and send and computername and message.
    it is not exactly 'chat' but it is quick.
    you can also use the DOSkey command so you dont have to keep typing the command and terminal name over amd over.

you can use netmeeting in win 2K also.

11. mwillshaw

mwillshaw

Try Lantalk
    http://www.exxzero.com/

I find this is indispensible on our LAN you get 30 days trial, after which you wont think twice about buying it/:)

12. elsinaj

elsinaj

You're all forgetting one:

NetMeeting from Microsoft. It's free, it's small, works on LAN and on the internet.
    You can also share applications with it if you want, or use a shared whiteboard between partners in a chat.

It also can support voice chat, but this can be disabled through a Group Policy or system policy.

Oh yeah, you can also use it to support users because you can also share your complete desktop.

goto http://www.microsoft.com/netmeeting

A.J.

13. mwillshaw

mwillshaw

Sounds great!
    Think I'll give this one a go too.

14. deuce

deuce

Hey thanks... that one sounds like cash. :D

(You know what I find a little ironic about this... the guy that started this 7 week long thread probably hasn't seen it since he first posted in it... and he is the one who wanted to know about this. :rolleyes: )

15. bobbi

bobbi

Now, can anyone tell me if the chats over NetMeeting can be captured by the network administrator.

I'm not an admin so I don't know all the ins and outs of that stuff. I know we have a system called ELRON which watches the Internet access etc.

Just wondering...I like to chat with a few of my co-workers from time to time, but I don't want everything I say to come back to haunt me one day.

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice