1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to check a power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tracker_260, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tracker_260

Tracker_260 Thread Starter

I have an older computer that was acting up and completely shutting down every 20 minutes, and now it rarely will start at all. I was wondering the best way to check to see if the power supply is burned out, or if there is another possible issue. I have a voltameter for testing electrical stuff, but want to make sure that I don't do something really dumb!! Thanks for the help!
    Tracker

2. Firah

Firah

hi, Tracker!

The best thing to do is to swap the power supply with a known good one, in my opinion.

However, here's how to test it:

HERE

3. Tracker_260

Thank you so much Firah! I will give the test a try and see what kind of readings I get!! Have a great day! Tracker

4. Firah

Firah

Hey, Tracker,

Sorry to set you off half-cocked, but as you might have noticed that test is for ATX PSU only.

And you should take a look HERE first also.

5. Tracker_260

Thanks again for the heads up...my multimeter confirms a 5 and 12 volt power supply, but I did notice a new POST beep sequence at boot up..1 long, 3 short (If memory serves that is an EGA issue...at least for IBM), but after another 15 or so seconds then I get another 2 short beeps...looks more likely to be a mother board problem and not a power problem. Thanks again! Tracker

6. Firah

Firah

To be certain, go to your BIOS manufacturer's web site and check out the beep codes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice